" Lachy's Travels" lachydragon's Profile

Another great year for travel!

So far this year has been a great one for travelling! One of the most amazing trips of this year was my July trip to South Africa. I spent 9 days in South AFrica splitting my time between Johannesburg and 5 amazing nights in Kruger National Park. This trip, like most of the best trips came up rather quickly and I decided to grab the opportunity and run with it....I was not disappointed!

This photo was taken in Kruger National Park, we woke up early one morning to head out of the camp as soon as the gates were open to see what the early morning game viewing was like. When the sun came up it was this stunning sunrise....gazing out over the plains of Africa with the wonderful bush in the foreground! It is one of my favourites!

I hope you enjoy my pages - you can have a quick read through some of the big trips I have made recently below and then head to my pages for more info and stories. If you enjoy what you read, drop me a line and say hi!

Take Care!

What's on the Radar?

Kangaroo Island - December 2006 - January 2007
My brother and I have decided this year to break with longstanding family tradition and to cancel the New Years Eve party at home. After a shocking hangover this year we have decided to head as far from drunken revellry as we can and spent a few weeks on our friends' beach shack on Kangaroo Island off Adelaide. We will ring in the New Year on Hanson Bay looking out over the Southern Ocean with nothing but thousands of kilometers of ocean between us and Antarctica. It is a magic spot, with the Fairy Penguins who waddle out of the ocean and ensconce themselves under the floorboards of the old shack at night and the occasional seal on the beach! Can't wait!

Where I've Been, Recent Trips...

Africa!! - 12-20 July 2006

All the best trips I have taken overseas have been last mintue ideas! This trip was no exception. This was a 9 day trip during my uni holidays with a good friend of mine. We got a great airfare deal and flew into Johannesburg. From there headed to Kruger National park and spent 5 nights in the park staying at the various rest-camps as we made our way North viewing all the amazing African wildlife as we go - accommodation was great fun, staying some nights in bungalows and others in fully-equiped safari tents for the full experience!
It was a photographers delight of a trip with stunning scenery and sightings of Africa's big five animals: Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Rhino and Buffalo!

Little Trip Europe - August 2005

After months and months of training I couldn't believe I was finally there! Sitting on the start line at the World Dragon Boat Championships in Berlin, Germany!!!

My Australian team came over together - apologies to our fellow passengers on the flight! 60-odd excited paddlers and had 4 days in Berlin to get over the jetlag and do the last few training before the big races. After that it was an amazing 4 days of racing against the best in the world. No medals for the Aussies but a head full of memories and a smile from ear to ear!

Nursing a bit of a sore head (from a let-your-hair-down after party!) I headed from Berlin to Edinburgh, Scotland to visit a dear friend of mine from uni. I spent 5 days with Claire and combined hectic sightseeing with days of simply relaxing and enjoying the city. I thouroughly enjoyed Edinburgh and seeing where the ancestral roots lay!

Back across Europe to Vienna for a whirlwind day out with some of the paddlers and then it was back home to Australia again. I had a great time in Europe but fear that I may have to save the bigger trip for a few years when it won't hurt the back pocket quite so much!!!

New Zealand - February 2005

Three weeks of walking and touring in New Zealand with my Dad. What a great way to see out the last of my summer holidays! We flew to Wellington and then caught the ferry across to Picton on the South Island. Our first walk was the breathtaking Queen Charlotte Sound - and we scored perfect weather for it too....6 days of walking along the ridges and down into the bays taking in this amazing landscape like nothing I have seen in Australia! Ending each day with a refreshing swim...perfect!

Then it was West to the Abel Tasman walk - another 5 days of beach hopping along some of New Zealands finest golden sand beaches and inlets. Perfect weather again...it was all rumours about NZ weather!!

Hawaii - December 2-6 2004

Now this one may come as a surprise to some of you....my last few holidays were Treks in Northern Pakistan, 8 Day Plane Drop-in Walks in Tasmania and Backpacking India! Well, it was surprise to me too! A birthday surprise from my travel-agent brother.

For what it was worth I managed to do quite well in Hawaii, after a little coaxing I took to the sun, sand surf, resorts and mai-tai cocktail hour...well, make that VERY LITTLE coaxing!

We had a week in Hawaii, with 4 days on Waikiki Beach on the Island of Oahu and then 3 days checking out the amazing volcanic landscapes of the Big Island of Hawaii. It was a great trip and an interesting introduction to the USA.

Big Trip India - Jan-Feb 2004

After 1 year of univerity Hindi classes I headed for the "real thing" to test my language skills amongst the 1 billion Indians! And what a sensational trip it was!!
Flying out of Sydney of a sunny New Years Day we touched down in Singapore for a 24 hour stopover and then on to New Delhi in the depths of a foggy winter's morning. After a few days of exploring Delhi we headed North to Dehradun, provincial cappital of Uttaranchal State for 3 weeks. Haridwar, Rishikesh, Uttarkashi and back to Rishikesh saw out the last of our Hindi classes and then my friend Edwina and I were on our own for 2 weeks to do the backpacker thing and explore North India.

Our whirlwind tour took us to Chandigarh, Shimla, Dharamshala, New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur before schdules got the better of us and we had to fly home to return to university - with one day spare!

• Intro Updated Sep 18, 2006

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

lachydragon

“Happiness is a non-cancelled flight booking (see India: Transport tips for the story...)”

Real Name