"Helgoland" Top 5 Page for this destination Helgoland by Gentleman75

Helgoland Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 195 photos

Some information about...

Helgoland is Germany's one and only high sea island. It's situated about 70km from the mainland on the North Sea.
The climate is supported by the nearby Gulf Stream favourably what results an pleasand temperature: not too hot summer and not too cold winter.

Helgoland has an excellent clear and fresh air. Helgoland is Germany's richest place in iodine and oxygen. The island's poverty of pollens helps allergic persons an asthmatics a lot. The healling aerosols of the sea have their positive effects on all respiratory diseases. Symptoms of that disease often fail to appear under the conditions of the curative climate.

The island has unique and tremendous flora and fauna, the world famous Helgoland lobster as well as the island's specialty, the "Knieper" (the scissors of the common crab) meaning a feast for all gourmets.

And there is one more thing: the duty free shops. But be careful! When You leave the island You have to show what You bought in duty free shops. It is necessary because there is definded export limit per person.

There are three possibilities to get to the island:
1. by plane
2. by a simple boat
3. by a high-speed catamaran

You can get more information about the island and the prices of the trips on the official website of Helgoland:
www.helgoland.de

We got to the island by a high-speed catamaran, so this photo is not taken by me. I've downloaded it from the official website of Helgoland.

My experience...

We got to the island by a high-speed catamaran. The journey started in Norddeich where we got on a ferryboat. It took us to Norderney where we get on the high-speed catamaran.

The trip by the catamaran was excellent, but because of the windy weather I had a "little" sea-sick...

• In a nutshell:"Just like Heaven" - The Cure
  • Last visit to Helgoland: Aug 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 24, 2004

• Apr 18, 2009 at 6:18 PM

A tough to find place - in my book it is spelled as Island of Heligoland... Thanks for the info and photos though! Cheers, Marina

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2005 at 3:15 AM

Just the place for a relaxing holiday, lovely pictures of the red rocks.

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 5:07 AM

Hmmm...cool pages ...hope to be there one day ..love the red rock :-0

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 11:25 PM

Breathtaking pics! I hope, that I have the opportunity to visit Helgoland soon!

• m-joy's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2004 at 11:57 PM

Brilliant pics here! The Red stone rocks are amazing, indeed.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2004 at 1:52 AM

nice photo of the red rock and the view to the west side of the island. I hope the plane brakes are working at the airport!!

Gentleman75

“Let me show You the World in my eyes (Depeche Mode)”

Badges & Stats in Helgoland

Have you been to Helgoland?

Latest Activity in Helgoland