"Kiel" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiel by Gentleman75
Kiel Travel Guide: 101 reviews and 310 photos
Kiel, the capital of the State of Schleswig-Holstein, was founded by Count Adolf IV of Schauenburg. In 1233, he built his 'Holstenstadt tom Kyle' - today's Kiel - on the peninsula of an arm of the Firth. In 1242, it was established as a city.
A significant boost to the city came with the university, which was founded in 1665 and named after Duke Christian Albrecht.
Kiel had developed into a major city with more than 100,000 inhabitants at the end of the 19th century. By 1918, the population has swollen to 300,000 before falling dramatically thereafter.
Now, Kiel is Schleswig-Holstein's leading service and educational centre, with about 240,000 inhabitants.
The picture was borrowed from the official website of Kiel where You could read more about Kiel.
Kieler Kloster is one of the oldest building in Kiel which was founded in 1240 and survived the bombings in the WWII. more travel advice
Gentleman75's Related Pages
Kiel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quite a cool city!"
- "THE SAILING CITY OF KIEL"
- "the "little" Kiel"
- "Ferry to Göteborg, some impressions before we left"
- "City of Sails"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiel
- Hotels in Kiel
- Transportation in Kiel
- Restaurants in Kiel
- Shopping in Kiel
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kiel
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Kiel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiel
Photos in KielSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siofok Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hallstatt Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helgoland Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Konstanz Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiel Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Werfen Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilhelmshaven Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lamington National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos