"Siofok" Top 5 Page for this destination Siofok by Gentleman75
Siofok Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 109 photos
The surroundings of Siofok was already a built-up area in the 1st century A.D (Roman times). At that time a main road led from from Sopianae (Pecs) across Tricciana (Sagvar) to Arrabona (Gyor).
According to the notes made by Sectus Aurelius Victor in the turn of the 3rd-4th century, Emperor Galerius built a dike and olbiterated some forests in order to drain the moor-land of "Lacus Pelso" - it is the Latin name of the Balaton - in 292 A.D. He named the whole region after his wife, Valeria.
The first time when this area mentioned was in 1055 (about 50 years after the Hungarian conquest) in the deed of endowment of Tihany. It was named as Fuk that time. The present name, Siofok, has been known since 1790.
Today Siofok is one of the most important tourist centre in Hungary with about 23.000 inhabitants, as it is said: "Siofok is the capital of Lake Balaton." Siofok is about 110km far from Budapest and it can be reached easily by rail or road from every direction. The highway called M7 gives a direct connection between Budapest and Siofok.
The town itself is an open-air exhibition with its sculptures and monuments on public squares.
In addition to the historic buildings, some modern churches offer an exciting sight by their queer architecture. Due to the development in recent years the town has become a site of flowers and parks. An outstanding park in town is the Millenium Park in front of the railway station.
If You need more information about Siofok, then visit the official website of Siofok.
If You like the calm, the silence during Your holiday, then forget this place.
Siofok is famous about the Gold Coast (Aranypart) where music is played all day until night, and about the discos, night clubs where the music is also played, but all night. There is a lot of turists on the streets and on the beach all Summer - if the weather is good.
The tunnel is between the Varoshaz ter (Townhall square) and Marcius 15-e park (15th March park) under the Tanacshaz... more travel advice
This is a memorial park for the revolution and war of independence of 1848-1849. more travel advice
Written Aug 17, 2004
Graffities in a tunnel I.
Written Aug 17, 2004
Graffities in a tunnel II
Gentleman75's Related Pages
Siofok Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BALATON LAKE"
- "The Queen of the Southern Shore"
- "A Tourist Resort near Lake Balaton"
- "Lake Balaton - Hungary"
- "Siofok -- South shore of Lake Balaton"
- "Never did a place better live up to its name!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siofok
- Hotels in Siofok
- Transportation in Siofok
- Nightlife in Siofok
- Restaurants in Siofok
- Shopping in Siofok
- Warnings and Dangers in Siofok
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Siofok
- 17 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Siofok?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siofok
Photos in SiofokSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siofok Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hallstatt Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helgoland Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Konstanz Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiel Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Werfen Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilhelmshaven Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lamington National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos