"Schwäbisch Gmünd" Schwäbisch Gmünd by Gentleman75
Schwäbisch Gmünd Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 114 photos
Schwäbisch Gmünd is a town in the eastern part of the German state of Baden-Württemberg, which lies on the Rems river about 50 kilometers east of Stuttgart (the capital of Baden-Württemberg). It also lies at the northern foot of the Swabian Alb. With a population of around 62.000, the town is the second largest in the whole region of East Württemberg after Aalen.
The first settlement in this area was around the 2nd century AD, when the Roman soldiers settled the nearby Limes. In the 3rd century the border lines were assaulted and taken by the Alemans, who settled down in the areas the Romans had abandoned.
Schwäbish Gmünd was founded in the mid-12th century. It was a free imperial city from 1268 until 1803, when it passed to Württemberg.
Schwäbisch Gmünd is a quite big city with the population of around 62.000, but its athmosphere makes it a lovely, small Swabian town. Yes, there are lot of people and cars on the streets, but the tipical Swabian houses, streets, the kindness of the local people can compensate for these.
I liked to spend two weeks here in 1989 as a child, and a few days in 2001 and another few days in 2003.
In the centre of the Löwenbrunnen is an ornate fountain column, probably dating from the 16th century. The lion with the... more travel advice
The Renaissance fountain column is crowned by the diptych of the Madonna with halo (dated 1686). One side shows Mary... more travel advice
Gentleman75's Related Pages
Schwäbisch Gmünd Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where it all began...."
- "Schwäbisch Gmünd"
- "Schwäbisch Gmünd and the Guggemusik Festival"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Hotels in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Transportation in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Nightlife in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Restaurants in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Shopping in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- Warnings and Dangers in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schwäbisch Gmünd
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Schwäbisch Gmünd?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schwäbisch Gmünd
Photos in Schwäbisch GmündSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Queensland Intro, 19 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Siofok Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hallstatt Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helgoland Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Konstanz Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiel Intro, 12 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Werfen Intro, 14 reviews, 15 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wilhelmshaven Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lamington National Park Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos