"Life Should be an Adventure!" VA_Dave's Profile
Popo is a beautiful cone shaped volcano that is sometimes visible from the main plaza in Mexico City. It can't be climbed right now because it is erupting! You can see how Popo is doing today on the live webcam at
http://www.cenapred.unam.mx/mvolcan.html (click on Tamaño A).
The summit is 5452m (17,887ft), so for us flatlanders it is a pretty slow trek on crampons up to the summit. In the far background of this picture you can see Orizaba (Citlateptl) 5700m (18,700ft). In a week I was able to climb Popo, Orizaba and Iztaccihuatl 5286m (17,342ft).
Here is a web site about climbing the Mexican volcanos: http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/volcan~1.html
I don't do much technical climbing any more since I discovered that I am not immortal.
My German climbing partner, Ulrich Lantz, was playing around in a crevasse when I snapped this picture. Looks desperate!
Why is the best blood of England to waste itself
scaling hitherto inaccessible peaks, in straining
the eternal snows and reaching the unfathomable
abyss never to return? Is it life? Is it duty? Is it
common sense? Is it allowable? Is it not wrong?
May-June 2000: Peru - Lima, Cusco, Manchu Picchu trek, Sacred Valley, Lake Titticaca, Island of Taquile, bus over Andes from Cusco to Ayacucho.
July 2000: Vancouver, BC for seminar and hiking in BC costal mountains.
February 2001: Florida for Space Shuttle launch at Cape Canaveral and scuba diving in Key Largo.
September 2001: California to climb Mt Whitney, the highest mountain the lower 48 states.
June 2002: Yukon Territory: canoed from Dawson to Whitehorse and then went gold prospecting in the Klondike
July 2002:California for seminar at UCLA and climb Mt Baldy
September-October 2002: worked in Okinawa for a month - lots of scuba diving
April 2003: UK: worked near Oxford
and traveled to work sites around the UK.
Winter 2003 - Jackson Hole, WY skiing
Nov/Dec 2003 - Tanzania, climbed Kilimanjaro, went on safar, and dived in Zanzibar.
October 2004 - treking in Ladakh, trek in Uttaranchal to the source of the Ganges, touring N India to Delhi, Agra, Udiapur, Veranisi, Mussoorie, etc
August 2005: Panama for birdwatcing, and visit friends near Volcan and Panama City.
February 2006 - skiing in Zermatt
August/September 2006: Ecuador to climb Cotopaxi Volcano, birdwatching, and visit Galapagos.
April 2007 - Wray, CO to see the mating dance of the prairie chicken
August 2008 - Hawaii to see live lava and the telescopes on Mona Kea.
January 2009 - Searched for the Ivory Billed Woodpecker in the swamps of Arkansas
May 2009 - Nafplion and the Mani in Greece
2010 - Birding Weekend in Costa Rica
2011 - Trekking in Nepal
2012 - Chasing the I'Iwi Bird Through the Alakai Swamp on Kawai
2013 - New Years Day Climb of Old Rag Mountain in Virginia
Volunteering for trip to Mars
Click below to see some of my VT travel pages:
Tanzania: Climbing Mt Kilimanjaro
Okinawa: Snakes, Whale Sharks and Bats
Prague: Wishes and Doorknobs
Cape Canaveral: Space Shuttle Launch
Death Valley: Desert Mysteries
Grand Canyon: Rafting the Canyon
Utah: Zion Park: Hiking
Italy: Civita di Bagnoregio
California: Climbing Mt Whitney in One Day
Yukon Territory: Paddling Lake Lebarge
Whitehorse, Yukon Territory: 435 mile canoe trip
Klondike, Yukon Territory: Midnight Sun party with Klondike gold miners
Zermatt: Helicopter ride around the Matterhorn
Brinkley, AR: Searching for the Ivory Billed Woodpecker. Here are some videos I took.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“We should consider each day wasted on which we have not danced. - Nietzsche”
- Member Rank:
- 0 3 2 6 1
- Forum Rank:
- 0 1 2 4 8
- Real Name
- Dave Saum
- Baileys Crossroads, Virginia
- Member Since
- Nov 17, 2002
- 90 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 90 Reviews
- 111 Photos
- 14 Countries
- 38 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Commented on travelfrosch's profile page
updated their Profile Page "Life Should be an Adventure!"
- Posted in Travel Kauai Forum "Alakai Swamp birding?"
- VA_Dave and bluedeep are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Cheapest way to travel around USA in United States of America Transportation
- updated a Brinkley Travel Page "Searching for the Ivory Billed Woodpecker"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Searching for the Ivory Billed Woodpecker"
PhotosSee All Photos (111)
Top 10 Pages
- Zermatt 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Lake Laberge Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Whitehorse Intro, 1 review, 10 photos
- Brinkley Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Klondike Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Washington D.C. 8 reviews, 2 photos
- Cape Canaveral Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Okinawa Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Tanzania Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos