"Marken, travel back in time" Top 5 Page for this destination Marken by Cheesegirl

Marken Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 134 photos

Tourist in my own country

One monday in june 2003, my husband and I waved our kids goodbye, since they were going on a schooltrip the whole day. Once the bus had turned around the corner, we realised we had a whole day ahead of us, kids-free! (Mind you, we love our kids, but not seeing them untill 5 p.m. opened new perspectives). We had to make a plan, it was a gorgeous sunny day. We decided to do our own "schooltrip" and headed for Marken, an island (connected to the mainland by a dyke), not even half an hour away from Amsterdam.

On this monday-morning, we drove from Amsterdam through Durgerdam, a cute little village along the "IJsselmeer"; the lake, which used to be a sea, the Southsea, before it was cut off the Northsea by a huge dyke, the "Afsluitdijk" (well, actually there is a sea inbetween, the Waddensea). When you have reached Marken, you have to park your car at the parking-lot, since only inhabitants are allowed to drive in Marken. But, walking distances are short, and there are no huge obstacles for those who are in a wheelchair, just some steep bridges perhaps.

When you enter Marken, ofcourse one of the first buildings you see is a shop were you can buy clogs and other souvenirs.... And yes, there is a large clog in front of it, and yes, ofcourse some couple asked us to take their picture, while she was in and he was behind the clog, his arm wrapped around her shoulder. Just in the one of a million change this couple is on VT as well: if you read this, please let me know, and put the picture on VT! I ask this because I refused to go in the clog myself, only now realising what fun it would have been for you, to see me in a clog.....

• Pros:less touristic than Zaanse Schans
  • Cons:no mills (not a con to me, but I know mills are #1 attraction)
  • In a nutshell:small, pure, certainly when you go there early, on a monday
  • Last visit to Marken: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2003

• Suuz's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2005 at 8:19 AM

the GVB does not have a bus going to Marken, it's connexxion that will take you there. The number however is correct.

• Rachael71's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2004 at 5:33 AM

What a great idea, to be a tourist in your own town! Lovely pages - happy birthday!

Cheesegirl

“Go with the flow.......”

Badges & Stats in Marken