"Crete, more than just party in Hersonissos" Crete Island by Cheesegirl

Crete Island Travel Guide: 1,462 reviews and 3,873 photos

Crete, beautiful island

At my birthday, 29th of september, I had the pleasure of flying to Greece again, Crete this time. One year earlier I visited Lefkas in 1 day, now we did Crete in 6 days. We flew to Iraklion, capitol of Crete, and the largest city there. Then we drove to Hersonissos, Golden Valentin apartments, the place where we would stay most of the time.
Hersonissos, once a small fishermans-town, has become one of the major holiday-places, young people come here to party during the summer. Star Beach is a well known hangout.
We also visited Koutouloufari that day, a little bit more in-land, up the hills. It has beautiful small streets, were you can still find the typical greek atmosphere. Mind you, the streets are very steep and small, you can't reach every place by car.

A great place for sports

Next day, we went to the Lassithi plateau, were we had a great mountain-bike tour. There had been some rain in the past days, ever seen 25 women after cycling through mud-pools? It was worth every stain, though.
On our way back to Hersonissos, we visited Sissi, with it's cozy little harbour.
The following day we went all the way to the westcoast of the island, visiting Kokinni Hani, Aghia Pelagia and Rethymnon on our way there. We ended in Aghia Marina, 12 km. west of Chania. In hotel Atrion we would stay for the night.

Lovely nature

I found the west part of the island very beautiful as well, a bit more quiet I would say, and easy to reach one place after another, there is one long beach, and you can walk from one place to another easily.
On our way back to Hersonissos we went to Fodele as well, the birthplace of the Greek painter El Greco, but were just too late to visit his house.
Next day we paid a visit to Malia, favourite with the British, as well as to down-town Hersonissos. In the evening we went to Anopolis, to see Greek dances.
In the tips you'll find more info.
All pictures are made by William of Olympia International, the touroperator who invited us to Crete.

• Pros:Biggest and most southern island, so you won't be bored soon, and it has most hours of sun
  • Cons:Hersonissos has become very touristic
  • In a nutshell:more than just sun alone
  • Last visit to Crete Island: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2003

• adite's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2003 at 8:59 PM

Have been dreaming about going to Crete - and I will, someday...You have some great tips. Looking forward to more. And, Happy Birthday!

• Sep 28, 2003 at 8:30 PM

Nice home page, albums and tips..Many many happy returns of the day..Wishing you a happy birthday..Hope you will have a nice time..

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2003 at 2:07 PM

Beautiful page: good info and photos

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2003 at 12:48 PM

Great start and I hope to see much more, also from your home-environment. Leuke foto's, origineel. En tekst recht uit het hart! Groetjes, Paul

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 7:49 AM

I have wished to visit Crete for some time now. As a travel agent you must get lots of travel opportunity.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2003 at 3:41 PM

The Greek night festival looked a great laugh. Did they smash any plates hahahaha.

• benazer's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2003 at 3:26 PM

Very nice Cheesegirl enjoyed your page.

Cheesegirl

“Go with the flow.......”

Badges & Stats in Crete Island

Have you been to Crete Island?

Friends