"The Republic of South Yorkshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Doncaster by ardelean
Doncaster Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 128 photos
Doncaster is miles from the sea, but it does have a lake, and lakeside properties.
The cost of property in Doncaster has risen in the last two years, but it is still cheap relative to London, and only 2 hours from central London. Houses are still being built.
It has a great leisure centre with a skating rink and a fun pool.
The airfield was closed 20 years ago (it was used to bring jockeys to the races) but now Doncaster has a shiny new (well remodelled) airport - Doncaster Sheffield Robin Hood Airpot. Why such a long name who knows? Sheffield has its own airport and Robin Hood lived in Nottingham, not south Yorkshire, but the charter flights are cheap and more scheduled flights are starting.
It has the longest runway in the area.
This photo shows the original airfield.
Doncaster is the home of the St. Leger Race, run in September every year bar one.
The council used to give all employees free entrance to the races, but times change. There is still a ladies day.
Any time, it's a great day out.
- Pros:I'll think of one eventually; the A1? the A18? Trains?
- Cons:Lots of pubs - even the police walk round in pairs
- In a nutshell:A mining republic getting a great makeover
Doncaster should be a city, but it is only a metropolitan borough, because the minister is a few feet too short to be a... more travel advice
Get up early on a Sunday morning if you want to get a bargain. There are good things and there are cheap things, but... more travel advice
ardelean's Related Pages
Doncaster Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Republic of South Yorkshire"
- "Doncaster - tourist hotspot of South Yorkshire!"
- "Welcome to Donny!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Doncaster
- Hotels in Doncaster
- Transportation in Doncaster
- Restaurants in Doncaster
- Shopping in Doncaster
- Warnings and Dangers in Doncaster
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Doncaster
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Doncaster?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doncaster
- updated a Doncaster Travel Page "The Republic of South Yorkshire"
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Accommodation in London"
- Commented on one of SugarNSpice27's Doncaster travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A hazy lazy Sunday"
- Wrote a Review Almost a Cathedral; Almost a City in Doncaster Things to Do
Photos in DoncasterSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Bucharest Intro, 19 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Doncaster Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Sri Lanka Intro, 10 reviews, 8 photos
- Trincomalee Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ankara Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- York Intro, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sofia Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Accra Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Addis Ababa Intro, 5 reviews, 2 photos
- Pretoria 7 reviews