"Canada - Our Ontario holiday" Canada by Appeltje

Canada Travel Guide: 40,019 reviews and 92,383 photos

Bobcaygeon

In September we, Helga, her mom and me, went to Canada.

This was our plan: Go to Bobcaygeon to visit some family and stay a few days and possibly do some diving and at the last weekend to celebrate the wedding of Helga’s nephew. In between we would do some travelling.

We arrived at Toronto and drove together with our brother in law up to Bobcaygeon were we stayed there for a few days at the trailer park. This is a really nice area to be. I love it!
There is water all around you and one day we rented a boat and went out for a daytrip on the lakes. We visited the Buckhorn lock, which is part of the Trent-Severn Waterway.

Tobermory, Prince Edwards and Algonquin Park

Since our intention was to do some diving in Ontario we also went to Tobermory, but due to weather change it was not possible to make any dives. Nevertheless we decided to stay there for the night.
Then we drove down to London (where my brother- and sister in law lives) using the most western road along Lake Huron.
In London we stayed a few days and made a trip to Sarnia to visit some other members of the family.

After a few more days at the trailer park we left again for a trip. The destination was Algonquin Park but we decided to go fist down to Prince Edwards Island and the 1000 Islands and from there somewhat north to Algonquin Park. To be honest, we haven’t seen much from Prince Edwards Island and the 1000 Islands because we were almost only driving.
But Algonquin Park was different.There we booked a place to stay and walked a trail. Gosh, this park is so beautiful!

Killbear, Big Chute and Toronto

From there we drove to Parry Sound and visited Killbear Park in the Georgian Bay peninsula were we walked a nice short trail.

Big Chute Marine Railway was our next planned stop. We arrived just in time to see this railway in action, transporting a boat to a lower lake. Very impressive!

Next point of interest was Toronto. What a wonderful city. We did quite a bit of walking there.

And yes, we’ve been on the CN Tower, all the way up to the Sky pod.
What a view. It's breath taking!

We also went to the Royal Alexandra Theatre and watched the Mamma-Mia musical. I don't like musicals and especially not Abba songs but which musical was very nice. I have to admit that I enjoyed it.

After two days we drove back to London because we were expected to attend the wedding of Helga’s nephew. A real Canadian wedding. This was so nice and private, that’s why you will not find much details about this event.

In general, we felt that we now had a taste of how living in Canada is because we were free to do whatever we wanted to do and were so close with the family.

Thanks!

Have a look at my Canada travelogue for a more detailed report about our Ontario holiday.

• Last visit to Canada: Sep 2002