"the rila monastery" Rila by say-no-more
Rila Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 238 photos
Rila Monastery was founded in the 10th century by St John of Rila, a hermit canonized by the Orthodox Church. His ascetic dwelling and tomb became a holy site and were transformed into a monastic complex which subsequently played an important role in the spiritual and social life of medieval Bulgaria. Destroyed by fire at the beginning of the 19th century, the complex was rebuilt between 1834 and 1862. The monument is a characteristic example of the Bulgarian Renaissance (18th -19th centuries) and symbolizes an awareness of a Slavic cultural identity following centuries of occupation.
say-no-more's Related Pages
Rila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rila Mountain"
- "RILA WONDERFUL DAY TRIP THROUGH BULGARIAN HILLS"
- "Convincing my friend"
- "Rila Monastery"
- "Nice day trip"
- "Just under the sky... or over everything in BG"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rila
- Hotels in Rila
- Transportation in Rila
- Restaurants in Rila
- Warnings and Dangers in Rila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rila
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Rila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rila
Top 10 Pages
- Iceland Intro, 11 reviews, 41 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Sofia Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Athens Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Thessaloniki Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Skopje Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Budapest Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
- Karlovac Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Vienna Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos