"Algonquin Park Autumn and Summer" Algonquin Provincial Park by CdnJane
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide: 283 reviews and 392 photos
It was Saturday of the Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend, the sun was shining, I was at my parents' home and my mother suggested that we go up to Algonquin Park and nearby to see friends' cottage. It was well worth the drive - so lovely.
Canoe Lake was where I went to summer camp many many moons ago. It's claim to fame though, is that it is where the early Canadian artist, Tom Thomson drowned or was murdered by drowning. Thomson was a friend of many of the renowned Canadian group of artists known as The Group of Seven, although he was not actually one of them. He died in around 1919, I believe... research to come... under mysterious circumstances - an excellent canoeist, he was found with his legs bound in fishing line - not something that made sense.
Anyway... this picture was taken just off highway 60 at Km14 from the west entrance to the park. There is a coffee shop here, a tourist gift shop, and a place where you can purchase goods for a canoe trip, as well as rent a canoe.
Drove back through the park on the July 1st weekend, and it was lovely. The road was good, there was no traffic to speak of, and the trees were lush. So much green around, and then there were the lakes. On the way through, at mile 20, we stopped at the Algonquin Art Gallery. A friend, Arnold Nogy, was showing some of his paintings of the Park. He has a wolf painting that I love, but can't afford the original or the print at the moment. He also has some amazing paintings of the cliffs and the lakes.
- Pros:A chance to see some of the beauty of Canadian wilderness
- Cons:Too much human traffic encroaching, bugs in the spring
- In a nutshell:An Escape from the City - except for the Tourist Buses
If you are interested in the art of the park, some dating back to the early 1900s and others done in the past year,... more travel advice
It is just a place that is somewhat overpriced, but they do have great coffee and pie! However, it is a place to start... more travel advice
CdnJane's Related Pages
Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wow, Algonquin Provincial Park! So beautiful!"
- "An Algonquin Teamwork Blueprint"
- "Algonquin...A Paradise...for Moose"
- "True Canadian Adventure"
- "Away from the Freeway, and into Algonquin!"
- "Algonquin Provincial Park"
- "Algonquin park."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Hotels in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Transportation in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Nightlife in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Restaurants in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Shopping in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Algonquin Provincial Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Algonquin Provincial Park
- 4 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Algonquin Provincial Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algonquin Provincial Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A Revenue Suggestion..."
- updated a Algonquin Provincial Park Travel Page "Algonquin Park Autumn and Summer"
- Wrote a Review Algonquin Art Gallery in Algonquin Provincial Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Algonquin Art Gallery"
- Commented on one of CdnJane's Algonquin Provincial Park travel pages
Photos in Algonquin Provincial ParkSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 111 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie Intro, 48 reviews, 105 photos, 6 travelogues
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Houston Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 5 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Digby Intro, 3 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milton Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Latest Algonquin Provincial Park hotel reviews
- Arowhon Pines
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Bartlett Lodge
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Adventure Lodge
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Algonquin Backpackers Hostel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 24, 2013
- Mew Lake Campground
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2013
- Wolf Den Bunkhouse 'n Cabins
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013