Barrie Local Custom Tips by CdnJane Top 5 Page for this destination
Barrie Local Customs: 3 reviews and 9 photos
Looking Down at the Offering of Food
If you are visiting in a community like Barrie for a while, get hold of a local newspaper and check out for special dinners - Strawberry Suppers, Fowl Suppers (turkey/chicken - not bad food!), or Robby Burn's Dinners.
The food is home cooked by the members of the church, or by the group organising the meal, and is normally delicious. The desserts are usually the thing that everyone is waiting for be it strawberry shortcake at a "Strawberry Supper", or lemon meringue (my favourite). The price is usually right too, and it goes back into the community or church.
The pictures I'm showing is from the January Robby Burns Night at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church in Barrie. The haggis was made by the minister, Rick Horst, a Dutchman who does a great Scottish accent, and who addressed the haggis in the traditional manner. There was talent afterward - a sing song of old Scottish songs, and great Burns' poems recited.
Pileated Woodpecker having a drilling good time
If you have nothing better to do... look up and find out who or what is knocking!
This is a pileated woodpecker having quite a time with an oak tree (obviously pretty dead) at my parents. He/she had no qualms about continuing to drill the tree while I took pictures.
More Reviews (45)
- See All Delicious Crepes
- See All Watch the fireworks over the bay
- See All Skating at City Hall
- See All Plaques that Explain History
- See All One of the Wilder Local Natives
CdnJane's Related Pages
Barrie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barrie... close enough to it all"
- "Barrie and Simcoe County off the beaten path"
- "The Beautiful City of Barrie"
- "My Old Stomping Ground"
- "Welcome to Barrie"
- "Merrie Barrie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrie
- Hotels in Barrie
- Nightlife in Barrie
- Restaurants in Barrie
- Shopping in Barrie
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrie
- See All...
Explore the World
- North Pole Hotels
- Bulgaria Hotels
- Kimberly Hotels
- Filzmoos Hotels
- Belle Island
Badges & Stats in Barrie
- 47 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Barrie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrie
Photos in BarrieSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 111 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie Intro, 47 reviews, 105 photos, 6 travelogues
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Houston Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 5 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Digby Intro, 3 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milton Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Barrie hotel reviews
- Carriage Hills Resort
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Carriage Ridge Resort
- 241 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Horseshoe Resort
- 223 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hampton Inn & Suites Barrie
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- The Harbour View Inn
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 24, 2012
- White Tower Motel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 16, 2013
- Barr's Motel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- The Inn at Horseshoe
- 1 Review & Opinion