Barrie Warnings Or Dangers Tips by CdnJane Top 5 Page for this destination
Barrie Warnings and Dangers: 5 reviews and 2 photos
Pressure Crack along the bay
While the ice is really thick, and the fish huts are out on the lake, the ice has to buckle somewhere, and it is never safe to be too close to these pressure cracks.
This is a pressure crack along the north side of Kempenfelt Bay.
Ice forming around the boathouse
One of the great things about being beside a lake is the chance to go out on it skating, ice sailing, or ice fishing... but one of the most dangerous things IS the ice's stability.
Every winter we hear of people drowining as their car/truck/snowmobile goes through the ice, and far too often we hear of their rescuers drowning too, in the attempt.
The ice is a fickle creature - and Kempenfelt Bay does freeze enough to allow fish-huts to go out - up to 30,000 of them - a small city! But when the temperatures fluxuate, it causes the ice to soften. Strong winds and pressure cracks can create severe problems.
Dec 23,2004 the ice is starting to form along the shore, and there are lots of ducks and geese who haven't flown south yet. The sad thing is when one of those birds gets his/her feet frozen in the ice.
Was going to make this a transportation tip but think it's more a word of warning!
Barrie was rumoured to have several city planners laying out street designs, and instead of picking one, they took all the plans and just taped them together, so that there are some very odd "dog legs" intersections.
Some problem intersections:
The intersection of Ross St, Toronto St & Sophia.
Another odd one is High Street and Bradford St. connecting up to Dunlop St.
There are streets that change names such as Penetang St turning into Napier St. and Hwy 11 (Which is now actually County Road 4) becomes Yonge Street, then Burton Avenue, you turn onto Essa Road which then becomes Bradford Street, which you then have to go onto Dunlop Street which turns into Blake Street (where Collier St and Dundonald St meet) and then into Hwy 93 until you meet the junction with Hwy 11!
And that is just a small sampling of Barrie confusion.
I once was asked for directions as I was walking on High Street on how to get to Bayfield Street.
"Ok, continue up High St to the top. Turn right on Park St. Go to the end, turn left on Toronto St to the lights. Turn right onto Ross St and then make an immediate left onto Sophia St. The next set of lights is Bayfield Street, turn left."
The couple looked at each other, then looked at me and the husband said, "Who designed this city?"
More Reviews (44)
- See All Delicious Crepes
- See All Watch the fireworks over the bay
- See All Go for Church or Community Centre...
- See All Skating at City Hall
- See All Plaques that Explain History
CdnJane's Related Pages
Barrie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barrie... close enough to it all"
- "Barrie and Simcoe County off the beaten path"
- "The Beautiful City of Barrie"
- "My Old Stomping Ground"
- "Welcome to Barrie"
- "Merrie Barrie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrie
- Hotels in Barrie
- Nightlife in Barrie
- Restaurants in Barrie
- Shopping in Barrie
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrie
- See All...
Explore the World
- South Burlington Hotels
- Calauan Hotels
- Banjarnegara Hotels
- Puerto Viejo Hotels
- Puerto Princesa City Warnings and Dangers
- Huntington Beach Warnings and Dangers
- Runaway Bay Warnings and Dangers
- Tagaytay City Warnings and Dangers
- Shreveport Warnings and Dangers
- Bern Warnings and Dangers
- Ronda Warnings and Dangers
- Manama Warnings and Dangers
- Trabzon Warnings and Dangers
- Praslin Warnings and Dangers
- Busan Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Barrie
- 47 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Barrie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrie
Photos in BarrieSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 111 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie Intro, 47 reviews, 105 photos, 6 travelogues
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Houston Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 5 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Digby Intro, 3 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milton Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (66)
Latest Barrie hotel reviews
- Carriage Hills Resort
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Carriage Ridge Resort
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 28, 2013
- Horseshoe Resort
- 223 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hampton Inn & Suites Barrie
- 133 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- The Harbour View Inn
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- White Tower Motel
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 16, 2013
- Barr's Motel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- The Inn at Horseshoe
- 1 Review & Opinion