Barrie Restaurant Tips by CdnJane Top 5 Page for this destination

Barrie Restaurants: 34 reviews and 19 photos

Oscar’s Seafood Kitchen & Oyster Bar - CLOSED: Oysters Perhaps, I Liked the Shrimp and Chicken

Was out at Oscars for the first time in about 4 years. We were a party of 4 ladies out for a fun time together. It seemed to hit the mark for us all. Two of our party hadn't been before, our host had been for Barrielicious, and my last visit had, as I said been in the summer of 2009. I'd enjoyed it then, and enjoyed last night.
If I had a criticism, it might be that our waiter didn't mention any fish specials, and I suppose we could've asked about the size of the fish appetisers, as one of the ladies likes fish or chicken. She was happy with the chicken, though.
Street parking so you may have some trouble if there is something special on at the Mady Centre or the Country bar next door.

Favorite Dish: None of us were oyster eaters, but we did enjoy shrimp. We split 2 appetisers - shrimp bruschetta and the lime coconut curry shrimp boat, which could've been a meal. 2 of the party had surf and turf, and the other 2 of us had the chicken. Everyone seemed to enjoy the meal. I liked the very moist chicken, on a bed of mashed sweet potato, and some veggies. 2 of us also had the creme brulee - very nice. I'll be back.

Address: 52b Bayfield Street, Barrie, ON

Comparison: about average

Directions: West side of Bayfield St, between Dunlop and Collier.

Phone: 705.737.0522

Theme: Seafood

Website: http://www.oscarsrestaurant.ca/

From their website - interior of Corsons - Barrie

From their website - interior of Corsons

Corson's Genuine Food and Drink - CLOSED: Home Cooked Food Like Mom and Dad Used To Make

A new restaurant has opened in the south end of Barrie and it is great! The Corsons are well respected for the long time beloved Mom's Pantry/Restaurant in the north end of Barrie, and now partners Shayne Corson, Darcy Tucker, Armando Russo and Patricia Corson have created what I hope will be another equally successful restaurant.
The food was fresh, and generous portions. The restaurant has lots of room, and tables to fit family and friends groups to couples. Bright and open, very welcoming. There is also an outside patio, but today it was far to hot to even consider sitting out there. We were welcomed promptly, and warmly, and there were some familiar faces from Mom's.
The menu offers lots of options - a page of appetisers, lots of salads, sandwiches, and great burgers, and dinner offerings. The desserts are still as great as Shayne and Patty's father used to make at Mom's, and drew people in from Highway 400 to/from their cottages.
The restaurant's location will still make it easy for people to get to from the highway, as well as people in the south end (or any part of Barrie).
There will be entertainment on Friday evenings Patty told me... this week a Jazz pianist.

Favorite Dish: I had the Corson Burger with cheese and bacon, with a side of sweet potato fries - excellent flavour and the right size! Next time I'm going for the roast turkey - but just not sure if it will be on the club sandwich, open-faced hot sandwich, or just the roast turkey sandwich!
My mother enjoyed the Greek Salad and my cousin had the Apple and Cheddar Salad. They were big servings - and both felt they got their money's worth.
We had to have a dessert (ok, we didn't HAVE to but.... ) - my mother had the fresh raspberry pie and my cousin and I each had the Fruit Crisp (today's was bumbleberry) and of course we all had to have it with a scoop of ice cream. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Address: 511 Bryne Drive, Barrie, ON

Comparison: about average

Directions: South on Bryne Drive off Mapleview, on the east (left) side, across from the Holiday Inn Express. Lots of parking.

Phone: 705-721-1627

Theme: Local

Website: http://www.corsonsgenuinefoodanddrink.com

While restaurant was Shutters but hasn't changed - Barrie

While restaurant was Shutters but hasn't changed

Beaches Fine Market Grill-CLOSED: Good Food - Classy Surrounding

This location has had quite the history... it was originally the Allandale/Barrie Railroad YMCA hotel, and then in the last number of years home of several very good restaurants - Crazy Fox (now located on Bayfield St), Shutters and now Beaches. Beaches moved from previous location of the old Webers restaurant (then Downtowner). Beaches is a good restaurant, but its menu and decor did not suit its previous locale - it is not a place you'd run into to grab a meal while down by the beach - far more upscale than that. Not over-the top upscale, but I did hear people say they didn't feel comfortable in there in their shorts, and it wasn't the place you'd take your young children. In its new location, Beaches is just right. I haven't been in since it moved, but was impresssed with their emphasis on fresh food, local food, and well prepared. The service was good, the prices suited the quality and quantity.

Favorite Dish: The salads were good, the steaks delicious. I can't say anything that jumped out at me, but I was never disappointed by my meals either. Well cooked, fresh vegetables, tender meat.

Address: 268 Bradford Street, Barrie, ON

Comparison: about average

Directions: Right at the junction of Tiffin, Essa Road, Bradford Street and Lakeshore, in the first block east of Essa Road/Bradford Street. Street parking.

Phone: 705-728-3000

Theme: Local

Website: http://www.beachesbarrie.ca/index.html

The Potted Pig: Come Hungry and Pig Out! CLOSED

Barrielicious, a program to encourage locals and visitors to try various restaurants in the area, included The Potted Pig, and the menu appealed to my friend and I. We are both keen foodies, and she is a professional blogger. This was my first time to The Potted Pig, and I plan to return. The restaurant has lots of inside seating, and also a patio, and is located right at The Five Points. It was pretty empty when we got there for lunch, and we had our choice of tables.
The menu was extensive - with pork being part of almost every item - yes, desserts too! There are burgers, salads, pizzas, and many of other options with pork involved.

Favorite Dish: We started with appetizers - my friend had the boston bib lettuce taco - 3 generous pulled pork tacos (delicious! I had one), and I had the "a lil' pig me up poutine" - incredible stout beef gravy, with bacon and Guinness cheese - AMAZING!!
We were pretty full then but moved onto our burgers. - the "In the Pigining Burger" - a beef burger was apparently good, but not special. The "Hogwild Burger" - ground pork, stuffed with bacon, and mozzarella cheese, with a bacon marmalade, and with the addition of pulled pork, was wonderful! The onion rings (extra) were huge, but over battered for my liking. I think we both wished we'd either ordered a side salad or hadn't gone with the appetiser. Unfortunately, our burger orders got mixed up (not that we noticed until we'd gnawed into them, and we never corrected the waiter).
To our shock, Barrielicious menu was 3 courses... so we had dessert too!! I went with the donut with maple glaze and bacon - wonderful!!!! My friend had the ice cream sandwich - 2 chocolate chip cookies surrounding bacon maple ice cream - she found the ice cream not as smooth and creamy as she would've liked.
With Barrielicious - this food was $20CDN each for 3 courses.

Address: 10 Dunlop St E, Barrie

Directions: Northeast corner of The Five Points

Phone: 705-725-9608

Theme: Pub/Brewery

Website: http://www.thepottedpig.ca/

• Written Aug 2, 2013
Journey Cafe & Creperie: Delicious Crepes

Heard about Journey in a discussion about crepes and pancakes on Facebook, so since I was in the neighbourhood and hungry, decided to try it out.
I was mid-afternoon on a weekday so it wasn't a busy time for them - another half hour and I'm sure they would be picking up. Also, being out of the way, they take looking for - actually they have a wonderful highway viewing, but not so easy from the street.
The decor is definitely comfortable - sofas, comfy chairs in conversation placements, and the odd table & chair - a great place to go with friends for dessert and coffee, or lunch, or dinner even. A wonderful selection of Sweet and Savoury crepes that you can stand by the counter and see made. Good variety as well of hot and cold beverages. The staff seemed very friendly and happy to know that there was discussion on the internet about them.

Favorite Dish: Bought the brie, ham & tomato with basil crepe, and the chichen and asperagus crepe and both were delicious. The crepe had deteriorated a bit by the time I got it home - shouldn't have made a stop on the way, but it was still delicious. Either have it in the restaurant or within a very few minutes of purchasing it - crepes are just too delicate to stand the steam that ends up happening.when you take them out. I will try a sweet crepe the next time.
The chai tea latte was great too - worth having again.

Address: 62 Commerce Park Drive, Unit F, Barrie ON

Comparison: about average

Directions: 62 Commerce Park Dr is the complex by the Cineplex Movie building - drive around past the travel agency to the 400 highway side of the building.

Other Contact: journeycc@journeycafe.ca

Phone: 705.725.6200

Theme: Eclectic/International

Website: http://journeycafe.ca/

• Written Feb 21, 2013
The Dragon Restaurant: Fresh, Hot and Delicious!!

The Dragon Restaurant has been around for years, but for some reason, I've never tried it. Was looking for Chinese food to bring in the New Year's and thought I'd give it a try. I am so glad that I did! The lady taking my order over the phone was friendly - they were busy, but she didn't rush me. She did warn that they couldn't guarantee a delivery time, but that was not a problem for me. It came far faster than I had expected with a friendly delivery man.
The food was hot, it was fresh, and it was excellent. I often worry that the meat might not be cooked well enough - especially chicken. This was well cooked - I had no worry about it. The vegetables were crisp and obviously fresh.. There was plenty of food for us. Great leftovers!!!
I will be ordering from them again most definitely - also because their price was less that the other 2 places I'd checked out and have had food from before.

Favorite Dish: The Lemon Chicken was great - nice sized pieces of lightly breaded chicken. Well cooked - nothing worse than chicken that you feel you need to cook a little more! This was moist, and tender, but definitely cooked through. They were coated in a tangy lemon sauce, not too much, but not too little either.
Egg rolls were good, the pork fried rice, the vegetables with almonds delicious, and the honey garlic ribs yummy!
Excellent food!!!

Address: 70 Essa Road, Barrie, ON Canada

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: The southeast corner of Essa Road and Burton Avenue, right at the lights.

Other Contact: fax 705-728-6532

Phone: 705-728-2828

Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

Website: http://www.TheDragonRestaurant.com

• Written Jan 1, 2013
Woody's Bar-B-Q Barrie, ON Location - Barrie

Woody's Bar-B-Q Barrie, ON Location

Woody's Bar-B-q: Bar-B-Q.... yummm! and CLOSED

Woody's Bar-B-Q opened their first Canadian restaurant in Barrie just before the July 1st (Canada Day) holiday - perfect time for a place that is geared towards one of the special treats of summer - Barbecued food. Their location, in the plaza at the corner of Victoria St and Lakeshore Drive, across from Centennial Beach, is perfect for their customers. They offer eat-in and take-out (and delivery too, I believe) and there is a patio looking over to the lake, or lots of seating inside. The staff are friendly and helpful with the menu items.
And the food.... well, I'm working my way through the menu and enjoying what I have eaten so far. The menu is called Southern Bar-B-Q, but I am afraid I'm not knowledgable enough about what is southern vs the rest of the continent's barbecue menu. I do know that collard greens, and okra is more common in the southern US than close to the border and in Canada.
I have been there with a group of seniors from the apartment building I live, and with friends who have all enjoyed the experience.

Favorite Dish: So far I have really enjoyed the baby-back-ribs, the chicken (very moist), the brisket, the brisket sandwich (although it did require some of the sauces which are offered on each table), the shrimp and the wings. As far as sides go - have had the barbecue beans, the coleslaw, the mac & cheese, and green beans. Also have had the deepfried corn nuggets - wonderful and could be very addicting. Actually, have had them and the mac & cheese a couple of times.... yummmmm!
All have been well cooked, good serving of them and I thought reasonably priced.

Address: 11 Victoria Street, Barrie, ON

Comparison: about average

Directions: Plaza at Victoria St & Lakeshore Drive & Ellen St - lots of parking.

Other Contact: Fax: 705-722-3449

Phone: 705-722-3434

Theme: Barbecue

Website: http://woodysbarbq.ca/

• Written Sep 17, 2011
Sign for Mom's - Barrie

Sign for Mom

The Original Mom's Restaurant (formerly Pantry): The Pie's the Thing

Mom's is where the locals go when they want homecooking without cooking it themselves at home. Sunday Brunch has lineups waiting to get in. No, it isn't the "grey-haired" hang-out, but it is a place that you'll see families out because the prices are reasonable. As well, as being the place where the People stop here after church (the Presbyterians from St. Andrews get out before the Collier and Central United folks), and they also stop on their way to and/or from the cottage. There is truly a home-y feel. Its a place where the locals go and know someone will have a friendly hello for them. There are the (ice) hockey fans because the restaurant was started by Shayne Corson's father, but is now under new owners. The menu is still the same pretty much and good food. You know, I think that I've seen every demographic in there - young with high chairs, oldsters with walkers, 3 or 4 generations out for dinner or lunch, kids from sports teams, just anyone who wants a consistantly well-cooked meal at a reasonable price.

Favorite Dish: Can't beat the pies - they make great pies. Love the Raspberry pie, with a scoop of ice cream on the side. Haven't met a pie there that I didn't love... *sigh*. Yes, she can bake a cherry pie!
Can also highly recommend the breakfast with eggs and homefries, and sausage or bacon, and toast. If you don't want the homefries, they will substitute the garnish instead. They have great coffee too.
Oh, and on a cold winter's day, their chili is great. So is their club sandwiches... and their roasts. Hmmmm and did I mention that they have great pie?
They have a fabulous Mandarin salad too... and then there are the soups, the salad bar has all that you need. I did mention those pies... especially the raspberry or the strawberry rhubarb pie, and I overheard the waitress mention a blueberry pie made for diabetics!!! Oh yes, I do love those pies!!!!

Address: Bell Farm Road

Comparison: less expensive than average

Directions: From Hwy 400 exit at Duckworth St, turn right (south) at the lights, turn right on Bell Farm Rd (next lights) on the south side of the street just beyond the Racquet Club.

Theme: Diner

Excellent Steak - Barrie
Shutters' Restaurant: Excellent Steak - NOW CLOSED

Shutters has been open about 6 months now, I think, and I've heard mixed reviews. However, that's normal for any restaurant I think - what some like, others don't. For me, though, my experience was very positive. The service was attentive without being overly so, and the food was excellent.
The building was originally the old Allendale YMCA building, and it has been decorated in a victorian style, suiting the red-brick building. Old photos of the building and area from the late 1800s/early 1900s decorate the walls.
My one criticism is that it is not wheelchair accessible - or if it is, it wasn't apparent - and the front steps do NOT have a handrail. Make sure that if your party has mobility issues that you request a ground floor table - they don't automatically ask, as we found out. Fortunately we were able to get our table changed.
The owners also have The Village Inn, in Thornton, Ontario - just down Hwy 27 about 15 minutes away.

Favorite Dish: I've only been there the once, and I had one of their specials - a striploin with morels and a blue cheese gravy with mashed potatoes. It was cooked to perfection, and the sauce was lovely. I think I would've preferred rice or fries to the mashed potato - just a little too heavy. The creme brulee that night was a banana one, and it was delicious, and served with lots of lovely berries. My father had the lime cheesecake and it apparently was good.

Address: 268 Bradford Street, Barrie

Comparison: about average

Directions: By the old train station between Lakeshore Drive & Bradford Street, entrance off Tiffin Street.

Price: US$41 and up

Theme: Steakhouse

The Fishbowl Restaurant: More than just fish -NOW CLOSED

The Fishbowl is a new restaurant to Barrie, and the 2nd restaurant in their growing chain which started in Timmins, Ontario. More than just a fish restaurant, they have a great menu of fish, chicken and pasta. Located on the Bayfield Strip, it could be a little difficult getting in and out on a busy day. However, they do have lots of parking, and they cater to people of all age groups. Bright, and cheerful, but also intimate and cozy.

Favorite Dish: I've only been there the once, and had fish and chips. However, the fish is cooked in one of the following ways:
Deep Fried: In a light English style batter
Pan Fried: Breaded and cooked in garlic spread
Poached: In a white wine dijon mustard cream sauce
Heart Smart: Calorie and fat reduced marinade
Grilled: In our Cozumel marinade (lemon, oil, garlic, peppers, spices)

I had the Heart Smart, which provided me with some succulent fish... and rather than chips (fries) I had a salad, and their steamed veggies. Excellent meal. My parents have been a couple of times and my mother loves their salmon.

Address: 336 Bayfield Street

Comparison: about average

Directions: Bayfield St. just north of the Bayfield Mall - across the street from Pizza Hut

Theme: Eclectic/International

CdnJane Lives Here!

CdnJane

“"Remember that happiness is a way of travel - not a destination." - Roy M. Goodman”

Badges & Stats in Barrie