"Barrie... close enough to it all" Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie by CdnJane
Barrie Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 256 photos
My View of Barrie has changed. My parents moved from Oro Township, the eastern neighbour to Barrie. So serene and a wonderful escape from the city.... any city! The condominium apartment is at at the end of the bay, in the heart of the city of Barrie. I moved in to help them out last summer, and with the death of my father last November, decided that this is where I belong. The photo below was taken in early August and the boats, and watercraft are out in force.
Barrie's population is now about 125,000, and rapidly growing, with 1in 4 working in Toronto. It has been a mixture of light industry, and was a railway junction, with also being a market town for the rural population. It is still a big retail centre as many people to the north preferring to come down only that far, without having to go into Toronto. Barrie has been blessed with much cultural talent, The Georgian Theatre (sometimes known as the Gryphon Theatre), the high schools have all been blessed with choirs & bands (Barrie Central Collegiate Band was one of THE top school bands in Ontario, if not Canada), as well as community choirs (The King Edward Choir, amongst many), and jazz bands. Barrie has been blessed by many top performers coming through - Ballet, Orchestra, Theatre, and other forms.
Historically Barrie was on the route of the military highway from Toronto up to Fort Penetanguishene - part of the reason for Yonge Street (Highway 11) and Highway 93 being built - to get troops up to Georgian Bay without having to go via the Great Lakes and be close to the American dangers.
So, Kat, I hope that this helps you and others understand where Barrie is!
To answer my friend, Kat's (Keida84) question of where Barrie is.... Barrie is about 100 km, 60 miles north of Toronto, accessed by the main highway/freeway 400. From Toronto, you can also access Barrie via Highways 11 and 27, from the North down from Highways 69/400, and 11 or 93 (from Midland & Penetanguishene) or 26 (from Owne Sound/Collingwood/Stayner), or from Base Borden via Hwy 90. Barrie is the gateway to cottage country, to the ski resort area of Central Ontario, and in many southern Ontarians' minds, to the north! Barrie is situated on the shores of Kempenfeldt (or commonly spelled Kempenfelt) Bay which is an 10 (?) mile long, straight and deep bay sticking out from Lake Simcoe, which is a part of the Trent-Severn waterway connecting Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) with Lake Ontario.
Looking Down the North shore of Kempenfeldt Bay and downtown Barrie, from newly built apartments at the foot of Toronto Street. The sun is shining, there are lots of boats in the city marina. Looking along the Waterfront and Heritage Park, at the festival for the May long weekend.
- Pros:Close to Toronto, on the water, skiing nearby
- Cons:too close to Toronto, traffic getting up from Toronto can be horrendous
- In a nutshell:Close to Toronto, to water and skiing... summer & winter paradise
Woody's Bar-B-Q opened their first Canadian restaurant in Barrie just before the July 1st (Canada Day) holiday - perfect... more travel advice
A new restaurant has opened in the south end of Barrie and it is great! The Corsons are well respected for the long time... more travel advice
- See All Watch the fireworks over the bay
- See All Go for Church or Community Centre...
- See All Skating at City Hall
- See All Plaques that Explain History
- See All One of the Wilder Local Natives
CdnJane's Related Pages
Barrie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barrie... close enough to it all"
- "Barrie and Simcoe County off the beaten path"
- "The Beautiful City of Barrie"
- "My Old Stomping Ground"
- "Welcome to Barrie"
- "Merrie Barrie"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barrie
- Hotels in Barrie
- Nightlife in Barrie
- Restaurants in Barrie
- Shopping in Barrie
- Warnings and Dangers in Barrie
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Barrie
- 48 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Barrie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barrie
Photos in BarrieSee All Photos (105)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 111 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie Intro, 48 reviews, 105 photos, 6 travelogues
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Houston Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 5 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Digby Intro, 3 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milton Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Latest Barrie hotel reviews
- Carriage Hills Resort
- 192 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Barr's Motel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- Carriage Ridge Resort
- 258 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Horseshoe Resort
- 262 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- The Inn at Horseshoe
- 1 Review & Opinion