"Boldre near Lymington - History and Beauty" Lymington by CdnJane

Lymington Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 67 photos

St John the Baptist Church, Boldre

I attended this church with some family member who belonged here. It had so much history attached to it in the New Forest, dating back to at least 1087, and, as well, has a memorial to the HMS Hood.
The Hood was sunk May 24th, 1941, losing 1,417 officers and men (with 3 survivors), in a battle with Bismarck. This was a blow felt by the whole British nation. Many books and films have been made of this battle, and the subsequent hunt for the Bismarck. The Admiral, who died with the Hood, was from Boldre and this church, and his widow planned and brought to fruitation the Hood Commemorative at St John church in Boldre. The last Sunday of May there is a service to the memory of the 1417 who died on the Hood.
We were fortunate to be there at that service, and I was incredibly touched speaking with the family members of the sailors. It shocked me, at 21 yrs of age, to know how many of those sailors had been much younger than me when they died at sea. It was a moving experience.

Please see the website on it:

Beauty of the Bluebell Woods

I had never seen such a lovely scene as the Bluebell Woods near Boldre. My cousin took my mother and I there and I could barely capture any of the magnificence of the colours.
No planned and purposely planted garden has ever touched the simple beauty.
I apologise that I cannot really share it with you properly.

• Last visit to Lymington: May 1979
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2003

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 11:39 PM

Bluebell woods - I agree, the most beautiful sight. It makes the hair on my neck stand up!

CdnJane

“"Remember that happiness is a way of travel - not a destination." - Roy M. Goodman”

Badges & Stats in Lymington

Have you been to Lymington?