"Boldre near Lymington - History and Beauty" Lymington by CdnJane
Lymington Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 67 photos
I attended this church with some family member who belonged here. It had so much history attached to it in the New Forest, dating back to at least 1087, and, as well, has a memorial to the HMS Hood.
The Hood was sunk May 24th, 1941, losing 1,417 officers and men (with 3 survivors), in a battle with Bismarck. This was a blow felt by the whole British nation. Many books and films have been made of this battle, and the subsequent hunt for the Bismarck. The Admiral, who died with the Hood, was from Boldre and this church, and his widow planned and brought to fruitation the Hood Commemorative at St John church in Boldre. The last Sunday of May there is a service to the memory of the 1417 who died on the Hood.
We were fortunate to be there at that service, and I was incredibly touched speaking with the family members of the sailors. It shocked me, at 21 yrs of age, to know how many of those sailors had been much younger than me when they died at sea. It was a moving experience.
Please see the website on it:
I had never seen such a lovely scene as the Bluebell Woods near Boldre. My cousin took my mother and I there and I could barely capture any of the magnificence of the colours.
No planned and purposely planted garden has ever touched the simple beauty.
I apologise that I cannot really share it with you properly.
CdnJane's Related Pages
Lymington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunsets over the New Forest"
- "Between the forest & the sea."
- "A Too, Too Short Evening Visit...."
- "Lymington and the New Forest"
- "Boldre near Lymington - History and Beauty"
- "Lagos Marina, Algarve"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lymington
- Hotels in Lymington
- Transportation in Lymington
- Nightlife in Lymington
- Restaurants in Lymington
- Shopping in Lymington
- Warnings and Dangers in Lymington
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lymington
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Lymington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lymington
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: A Revenue Suggestion..."
- Wrote a Review For a marvellous filling dinner! in Lymington Restaurants
- Commented on one of Tolik's Lymington travel pages
- updated a Lymington Travel Page "Boldre near Lymington - History and Beauty"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Boldre near Lymington - History and Beauty"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 111 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie Intro, 48 reviews, 105 photos, 6 travelogues
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Houston Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 5 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Digby Intro, 3 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milton Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues