"Dubbo - Home to the WesternPlains Zoo" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubbo by CdnJane
Dubbo Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 84 photos
The Western Plains Zoo wasn't my favourite zoo, but yet it was quite a fascinating place. It is a huge facility where you needed transportation to get around it, but at the same time need to be mobile enough to walk around to some of the exhibits.
You can rent bicycles or something else (brain freeze, don't remember what it was). Fortunately, for me, just as we went to rent bikes, as per my friend's desire, it started to rain quite hard, so I convinced him that using the car was the best bet. Once we got away from the rental place the rain stopped. (Do I have the magic touch, or what??!!)
I guess what I found uninspiring were the African animals that I could see at zoos back home. The Aussie and Asian/Pacific rim animals that I'd never heard of, did appeal to me. I particularly loved the huge tortoises... they were amazing.
To answer the question of what brought me to Dubbo, it was thanks to my friend, John. He didn't want me to think that NSW was just Sydney, Hunter Valley and Katoomba - he wanted me to see the real countryside. It helped that he had a shooting match in Orange, so that got us most of the way to Dubbo. The night before we arrived there had been a horrible rain/wind storm and lots of trees uprooted, and branches broken off. However, the area we were in only had some leaves ripped down, covering the streets. Didn't really see any effects of the storm on the zoo property.
- Pros:Great Plains, away from the majority of tourists
- Cons:Still trying to find a con
- In a nutshell:Explore some of NSW away from the Normal Tourist Trail
While you are at the zoo you may see some Emus wandering around free. Don't try approaching them - they are not... more travel advice
I'd be lying if I said that it really stood out in my mind clearly now. My friend introduced me to the joys of being... more travel advice
CdnJane's Related Pages
Dubbo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of the Western Plains Zoo & Lots More Too"
- "Sweetberry's Dubbo Page"
- "Dubbo - Home to the WesternPlains Zoo"
- "Dubbo - Bit of a Surprise Package"
- "DUBBO - THE CITY OF SMILES!"
- "The Best Zoo in Australia"
- "a few days in Dubbo NSW"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubbo
- Hotels in Dubbo
- Transportation in Dubbo
- Restaurants in Dubbo
- Shopping in Dubbo
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubbo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dubbo
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Dubbo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubbo
Photos in DubboSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toronto Intro, 111 reviews, 143 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barrie Intro, 48 reviews, 105 photos, 6 travelogues
- Yarmouth Intro, 10 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Houston Intro, 4 reviews, 44 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of Ontario Intro, 5 reviews, 41 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 7 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Digby Intro, 3 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Milton Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 30 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Latest Dubbo hotel reviews
- Comfort Inn Dubbo City
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Dubbo Backpackers
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- The Homestead Motel
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2013
- Best Western Countryman Motor Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Best Western Blue Diamond Motor Inn
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013