"Dubbo - Home to the WesternPlains Zoo" Top 5 Page for this destination Dubbo by CdnJane

Dubbo Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 84 photos

Home to Some Incredible Tortoises

The Western Plains Zoo wasn't my favourite zoo, but yet it was quite a fascinating place. It is a huge facility where you needed transportation to get around it, but at the same time need to be mobile enough to walk around to some of the exhibits.
You can rent bicycles or something else (brain freeze, don't remember what it was). Fortunately, for me, just as we went to rent bikes, as per my friend's desire, it started to rain quite hard, so I convinced him that using the car was the best bet. Once we got away from the rental place the rain stopped. (Do I have the magic touch, or what??!!)
I guess what I found uninspiring were the African animals that I could see at zoos back home. The Aussie and Asian/Pacific rim animals that I'd never heard of, did appeal to me. I particularly loved the huge tortoises... they were amazing.
To answer the question of what brought me to Dubbo, it was thanks to my friend, John. He didn't want me to think that NSW was just Sydney, Hunter Valley and Katoomba - he wanted me to see the real countryside. It helped that he had a shooting match in Orange, so that got us most of the way to Dubbo. The night before we arrived there had been a horrible rain/wind storm and lots of trees uprooted, and branches broken off. However, the area we were in only had some leaves ripped down, covering the streets. Didn't really see any effects of the storm on the zoo property.

• Pros:Great Plains, away from the majority of tourists
  • Cons:Still trying to find a con
  • In a nutshell:Explore some of NSW away from the Normal Tourist Trail
  • Last visit to Dubbo: Jan 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 25, 2005

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2008 at 8:22 AM

Hi, Jane! Thanks for your birthday greetings! I enjoy reading your pages! ~ Take care~

• quintessential1's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 6:13 AM

Some essentially good info here for the possible Dubbo visitor. Mind you dining at the ubiqitous RSL etc Clubs is not exactly my cup of tea.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2005 at 1:04 AM

Dubbo has to be worth the trip for the name alone! Thanks to your tip I shall be on my guard should I encounter any emus wandering around Hove!!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2005 at 4:11 AM

What's this Jane a new restaurant tip in the RSL. lol! Next you'll be adding a couple of must sees. Seriously now, what prompted your visit to Dubbo when you were downunder?

• Feb 20, 2005 at 4:13 PM

What about the Zoo as a must see then Jane? It certainly is a good one. Takes alot to get me away from the coast, but I'll do it for this Zoo.

• Dec 17, 2004 at 5:09 AM

Good accommodation tip, but what about our terrific Zoo? The bikes are the best way to get around, but aren't you lucky to have power over the elements. lol!

• quime's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2004 at 7:11 AM

I can imagine a bite by those giant tortoises!

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2004 at 8:23 AM

I hope you are having nice time. Greet, Karolina.

CdnJane

“"Remember that happiness is a way of travel - not a destination." - Roy M. Goodman”

Badges & Stats in Dubbo