"A Krakow in minature" Torun by bscott1
Torun Travel Guide: 246 reviews and 468 photos
I would highly recommend a trip to Torun if you are planning on spending a couple of weeks traveling around Poland.
Torun did not suffer damage from the second world war and like many east Polish towns, offers a mixture of German and Polish history.
One could easily spend a full day of solid sightseeing here...if you have time, two or three.
This place is deservedly a UNESCO site, and is a bit like Krakow without the crowds.
Like Gdansk it was under German occupation for much of its life, and this is reflected in the architecture.
Unlike other medieval towns, its progress was stunted in the 16th and 17th centuries, and with progress suspended, it has kept much of its medieval character with most of its town walls in tact, and much of the buildings are older than the facades would lead you to believe.
You can see where the Teutonic Knights had their castle. The Gdanisko was once connected via walkway. more travel advice
There is a "skansen", a Scandinavian term for a recreation of rural life in earlier centuries. The Poles apparently... more travel advice
bscott1's Related Pages
Torun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TORUN - real gem"
- "Torun . . . a pleasant discovery"
- "Architecture, Astronomy and ... Gingerbreads"
- "Torun - little Cracow"
- "Of Brick and Gingerbread"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torun
- Hotels in Torun
- Transportation in Torun
- Nightlife in Torun
- Restaurants in Torun
- Shopping in Torun
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torun
- 10 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Torun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torun
Top 10 Pages
- Århus Intro, 39 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 17 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sogn og Fjordane Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Gdansk Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 13 reviews, 13 photos
- Oslo Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Silkeborg Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Torun Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos
- Bergen Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lofoten Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
No friends yet.