Montreal Things to Do Tips by nicolettart Top 5 Page for this destination
Montreal Things to Do: 1,101 reviews and 1,879 photos
I am very drawn to icon paintings, I don't know why! I thought this one was especially beautiful. with it decorative frame and gold leaf.
I thought this would give you an idea as to how colorful it is inside Notre Dame. The interior is very ornate with embellished columns and carvings.
The painting shows St. Marguerite d'Youville distributing bread to the poor. She founded the community of the Sisters of Charity (grey nuns) in 1747, and was canonized on December 9, 1990. The painting is by Maurice Dubois, an artist from Ile de Orleans.
This is one of the most striking elements in Notre Dame~~the pulpit.With its spiraling staircase and wood carvings, it is located to the left of the aisle, upon entering the basilica.
Notre Dame's two towers are called "Perseverance" and "Temperance". "Perseverance" holds one of the world's most famous bells, manufactured by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry in England, it weighs 10,900 kilograms. It is known as the Jean-Baptiste Bell.
This monument honors Chomedey de Maissoneuve (1612-1676), founding father of Montreal. Sculpted by Louis-Philippe Hebert, it was unveiled in 1895 and stands in Place d'Armes, across the street from Notre Dame.
There is a fee to enter the basilca, surprisingly. I believe it was around 2 or 3 dollars. Next door is a gift shop where I picked up a booklet and a postcard. If you are interested in the interior of the basilica, I strongly recommend buying some postcards, as I found it difficult to take good (digital) pictures inside!
The historical series of stained glass windows of the basilica were designed by Jean-Baptiste Lagace, an art history professor at the Universite de Montreal. They were produced in 1930 and and 1931 in Limoges, France, by the atelier of master glass artist Francis Chigot.
For a hundred years, Notre Dame was without stained glass windows. For the church's centennial in 1929, Olivier Maurault, the parish priest, decided on the themes and characters fo be depicted in a series of 11 stained glass windows relating the main events in the religious history of Montreal, from the arrival of Jacques Cartier in 1535 to the opening of Notre dame in 1829.
I am sorry some of these pictures are so dark!! It was very difficult to take a good picture inside the basilica. Although this one is not very good, I chose to include it here. This is a wooden sculpture of Christ on the cross, created in 1741. It is one of the major works by Montreal sculptor Paul Jourdain dit. Labrousse (1697-1769).
More Reviews (34)
nicolettart's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 52 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
- Posted in Travel Florence Forum "Re: Day trips from Florence"
- Commented on one of irishgalmtl's Montreal travel pages
- updated a Montreal Travel Page "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- Wrote a Review Colors of Notre Dame about Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal in Montreal Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Colors of Notre Dame"
Photos in MontrealSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 47 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal Intro, 52 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 52 reviews, 31 photos
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoboken Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (58)
- Old Montreal- 152 Reviews, 256 Photos
- Mont-Royal- 85 Reviews, 159 Photos
- Downtown- 37 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal- 108 Reviews, 167 Photos
- Space for Life - Biodôme- 46 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Chinatown- 22 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount Royal- 37 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Space for Life - Montreal Botanical Garden- 51 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Museum of Fine Arts- 19 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Olympic Village- 31 Reviews, 42 Photos
See All Montreal Things to Do