"A Day on the Delaware" Top 5 Page for this destination Lambertville by nicolettart
Lambertville Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 29 photos
Lambertville is a quaint little town on the Delaware River, right across from New Hope, Pennsylvania. If you're in New Jersey or the New York area, you might want to take a day trip here--it's nice to walk around, there are endless little artsy shops and galleries.
The land occupied by the city of Lambertville was originally purchased by the Delaware Indians as a portion of the 150,000 acre tract along the Delaware River north of Trenton.
In 1705, the first resident of Lambertville, John Holcombe, purchased 350 acres and in 1724 built the stone house on North Main Street that became known as Washington's Headquarters. In 1732, Emmanuel Coryell purchased a portion between Church Street and Swan Creek, and obtained a charter to operate a ferry crossing the Delaware River just south of the Lambertville-New Hope Bridge. Along with the ferry service, Coryell opened a tavern and inn to accomodate travelers. The settlements--Lambertville and New Hope--were called Coryell's Ferry. Lambertville was the halfway point between New York and Philadelphia.
During the Revolutionary War, Coryell's Ferry served as an outpost and crossing point for General George Washington and his troops.
For more information on the history of Lambertville, check out:
If you are in NYC or NJ, Lambertville is a great day trip. There are so many interesting little shops selling all kinds... more travel advice
The Moravian Pottery and Tile Works, a National Historic Landmark, is maintained as a "working history" museum by... more travel advice
nicolettart's Related Pages
Lambertville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Day on the Delaware"
- "LAMBERTVILLE-Antiques;Quaint Streets & Depot Redo"
- "Lambertville - It's Just Across The River"
- "Lambertville: artsy-fartsy on the Delaware"
- "marca's new Lambertville Page"
- "Lambertville - ShadFest 2006"
- "bmxdad's new Lambertville page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lambertville
- Hotels in Lambertville
- Transportation in Lambertville
- Restaurants in Lambertville
- Shopping in Lambertville
- Warnings and Dangers in Lambertville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lambertville
- 10 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Lambertville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lambertville
Photos in LambertvilleSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 47 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal Intro, 52 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 52 reviews, 31 photos
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoboken Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues