"A Day on the Delaware" Top 5 Page for this destination Lambertville by nicolettart

Lambertville Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 29 photos

Lambertville is a quaint little town on the Delaware River, right across from New Hope, Pennsylvania. If you're in New Jersey or the New York area, you might want to take a day trip here--it's nice to walk around, there are endless little artsy shops and galleries.

The land occupied by the city of Lambertville was originally purchased by the Delaware Indians as a portion of the 150,000 acre tract along the Delaware River north of Trenton.
In 1705, the first resident of Lambertville, John Holcombe, purchased 350 acres and in 1724 built the stone house on North Main Street that became known as Washington's Headquarters. In 1732, Emmanuel Coryell purchased a portion between Church Street and Swan Creek, and obtained a charter to operate a ferry crossing the Delaware River just south of the Lambertville-New Hope Bridge. Along with the ferry service, Coryell opened a tavern and inn to accomodate travelers. The settlements--Lambertville and New Hope--were called Coryell's Ferry. Lambertville was the halfway point between New York and Philadelphia.
During the Revolutionary War, Coryell's Ferry served as an outpost and crossing point for General George Washington and his troops.

For more information on the history of Lambertville, check out:
www.lambertvillehistoricalsociety.org/

• Last visit to Lambertville: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2003

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 9:16 AM

I just discovered your Lambertville page--I've got one in the works, too. I see we've got similar places of interest on our New Jersey pages!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2005 at 8:56 AM

Did you find the old decorative tile manufacturer?

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2004 at 4:14 PM

Hi Nicoletta ,Lambertsville it hs a nice ring to it I bet it is a very nice and cozy place ,you made a nice page A good feeling about Lamberts ville

• Azhut's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2003 at 3:18 AM

How are you? I haven't seen you in ages. >Buona giornata!!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2003 at 8:17 AM

I wanna taste that yummy Burger! :-))

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2003 at 12:56 PM

I love "Old Feeling" towns like Lambertville! I've never been there but I've been to some in Maine that sound very similar! Sounds like a fun town! I can hear George Washington now!!

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2003 at 12:03 PM

Next time take me with you to do the shopping. :-)) Looks great !

nicolettart

“Chi cerca, trova. Chi dorme, sogna.”

Badges & Stats in Lambertville

Have you been to Lambertville?

Latest Activity in Lambertville