"Gateway to America" Ellis Island by nicolettart
Ellis Island Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 148 photos
Everyone should visit Ellis Island, even if you are not an immigrant. Chances are you are a descendant of someone who came through Ellis Island or know someone who did. Millions of people came between 1890's and 1954, many from Europe, but also from also from all over the world. It is such a moving experience to come here and see (and feel!) the hardship and struggle to come to America during those times. I learned so much and can't wait to go back!!
They left their homes and families, taking with them all they could carry on their backs, and didn't turn back.
Can you imagine? I stood frozen in front of this photo and could not hold back the tears...
This poster is an advertisement for a steamship.You will find many interesting exhibits here, including baggage, passports, postcards of old steamships, personal items brought by the immigrants, even the plates they ate off of! I have taken pictures of just about everything there, so check back often as I continue to build this page!!
Apparently, there was no smoking at Ellis Island! I liked seeing all the old signs.There were even signs saved that... more travel advice
The old furniture and items on display were saved as is. The dust was not even wiped off and it appears that the... more travel advice
nicolettart's Related Pages
Ellis Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to America"
- "ELLIS ISLAND"
- "Ellis Island - A place of hope!"
- "Ellis Island"
- "Tracing Family Roots"
- "Ellis Island...New Jersey ??"
- "The rise of a nation"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ellis Island
- Transportation in Ellis Island
- Restaurants in Ellis Island
- Shopping in Ellis Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ellis Island
- 24 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Ellis Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ellis Island
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Bella Ciao (patizan song)..."
- Commented on one of Imaniac's Ellis Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Old Menus in Ellis Island Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Don't Mean to Bore You with More Old Stuff"
- updated a Ellis Island Travelogue "I Am an Italian American--a Must Read for Everyone"
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 47 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal Intro, 52 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 52 reviews, 31 photos
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoboken Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues