"Molfetta" Molfetta by nicolettart
Molfetta Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 34 photos
Molfetta is a small town in Puglia, Italy, in the province of Bari. When most people ask me, I feel I need to give a geographic location. So I say I'm from the heel. I can trace my heritage to this port town, where my ancestors were fishermen or in some way connected to the sea.
Molfetta is a coastal town located in the center of the heel in Puglia, on the Adriatic Sea. The surrounding towns are Bisceglie, Giovinazzo, and Terlizzi.
Due to its geographic location, Puglia was a high traffic area in ancient times!! The Greeks, Romans, Ostrogoths, Byzantine, Saracens, Normans, Swabians, French, Spaniards and others landed on the coast of Puglia. Now you wonder about the complex dialect!
The following may not make sense to even the Italians, but here goes!
"Awand a cud!"
(Get a load of that!)
"Ci capa fresch ca tin!"
Che testa fresca che hai!
(What cold head you have)
"Ci ta va da u mer a Viscieggie?"
Chi ti deve dare il mare a Bisceglie?
(who's gonna give the sea at Bisceglie?)
"ci bell vu pare....la cap ta va dlle"
"Se vuoi essere bella....devi avere mal di testa"
(If you want to be beautiful, you have to suffer!)
"Ci na me sciai, scimmenin,
ci sinon, nenzimme scene"
"Se ne dobbiamo andare, andiamoci,
se no, non c'e ne andiamo"
(If we're gonna go, let's go now, otherwise let's not go!)
"A scitt 'o sengh da 'nghenn!"
Devi espellere il sangue dalla gola!
(You must throw blood by throat! Not a particularly nice thing to say to someone, though!)
"Emere alla vocche e dolce o coere!"
amaro alla bocca e dolce al cuore
(Sour in the mouth but sweet in the heart, refers to FOOD)
More to come!
(I don't know if I should say check back soon or beware!)
Largest Pugliese Communities in the USA
Port St. Lucie, FL
I remember going to the beach at sundown, when the tide went out. My mother and I had buckets with us as we went into... more travel advice
Padre Pio was a humble Capuchin priest from San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy. He was blessed by God in many ways, but... more travel advice
nicolettart's Related Pages
Molfetta Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Molfetta
- 8 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Molfetta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Molfetta
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 47 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal Intro, 52 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 52 reviews, 31 photos
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoboken Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues