"Looking for Vincent" Arles by nicolettart

Arles Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 774 photos

I went to Arles in search of Van Gogh's "Cafe Terrace at Night", a well-known painting. And I found it! When I returned home I did a copy of the painting, the one you see here.

Here I am with my husband at the cafe, now called "Cafe Van Gogh". A nice tourist took this picture after I explained that I wanted it composed like Van Gogh's painting. Well, except that this was during the day!!

I did not know Arles has an arena! It is a nice little town, and we needed more than an afternoon to see it!

• Last visit to Arles: Jun 1998
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2004

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

It's great that you went to the "Cafe Van Gogh" and even painted a picture of it from the same angle when you got home. I went to Marseille and Toulon last October, and hope to visit Avignon and Arles next year.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo
      Aug 4, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Thanks for stopping by...I need to write some tips on Auvers-sur-Oise, where Van Gogh lived his last years. I liked it as much as Arles.

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Oh, I like your paint "The Cafe Terrace" inspired from VG (or café terrasse in French). Nice pages :) Looking for Vincent? I'm not the right one :)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 11:29 AM

some nice littlt touches in places

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2006 at 8:09 AM

Thanks for the little tour around beautiful Arles! I may have seen a lot of Quebec, but France is still high on my 'to see' list!! Nice Van Gogh pics here, but your mention of wine and cheese has now got me thinking!

• Djinn76's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2005 at 12:49 PM

I knew Arles for its Arena, I completely ignored it was also linked to Van Gogh!! Great painting btw...

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2004 at 12:07 AM

Really want to get to Arles on my next trip to France - it always looks so good!! Glad you found the cafe and enjoyed your lunch : ))

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2004 at 8:46 PM

How satisfying to make a copy of his painting after seeing the place for yourself! Sounds like a wonderful time here : )

• La_Holandesa's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2004 at 1:03 AM

Magnifique!!! :o) dutchies have something with france i guess, I do looove the south of France. (I also look for Vincent :) great page Nicoletta!! greetz Anita

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2004 at 8:33 PM

Great Arles page! You have reminded me of our trip last year.

• tak_pap's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2004 at 4:14 AM

wonderful page & photos - So beautiful presentation

nicolettart

“Chi cerca, trova. Chi dorme, sogna.”

Badges & Stats in Arles