Bora-Bora Shopping Tips by nicolettart Top 5 Page for this destination
Bora-Bora Shopping: 15 reviews and 12 photos
What to buy: Vanilla beans are easily found all over the island, and in Vaitape you will come across roadside stands selling small bunches. Check the local grocery stores for vanilla extract and powder, as well. The powder consists of the seeds and is so strong that I have to use just a little when I make homemade vanila ice cream.
Theme: Food and Drink
The shop is run by two guys named Steve who are knowledgeable and helpful. I spent quite some time looking at many loose pearls before making a purchase. You know, the pearls are not at all black, they are just called that because of the black oysters they come from. When you hold a bunch of pearls in your hand it's a rainbow of color! I recommend selecting a loose pearl and having them simply set it as a pendant(that was only an extra $20 or so). Cuts the cost considerably.
What to buy: Black Pearls
What to pay: Well, pearls are not cheap and the prices vary. The rounder and more perfect, the more expensive the pearl. Also, the uniqueness of the color matters.
What to buy: You must bring home Monoi oil. The combination of Tahitian gardenia and coconut oil give it an absolutely wonderful smell. You can get this in the US, but it cost 2 to 3 times as much.
What to pay: about $3 a bottle.The best souvenir: it's a locally made product and it's cheap!
Directions: You can buy this in any shop on Bora Bora, Moorea, and Tahiti, and if you forget they will have it in the airport.
Theme: Bath and Beauty
Gauguin Handpainted Pareo
The main shopping area is the village of Vaitape. However, I did not really buy anything there, and found shops along the main road outside Vaitape(I can't say off the beaten path because on BB there is only one "path"!).I bought great Gauguin pareos (huge!) at the Boutique Gauguin. You can't miss it , the giant cutout of Gauguin screams tourist trap, but I couldn't resist and did end up buying artsy souvenirs, including tapa cloth,small woodcarvings, and those great batiks of Gauguin paintings (not made on BB, but who cares). I also recall buying local fabric at a shop nearby along the same road, cheaper than in Vaitape.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (30)
- See All Weather in Bora Bora
- Where is the CyberCafe?
- See All Traditional Tattoo
- See All Local Sharks
- See All Jeep Safari
nicolettart's Related Pages
Bora-Bora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bora Bora .... The Jewel of the Pacific"
- "When a Dream becomes Reality: Tour of Bora Bora"
- "You will Love Bora Bora!"
- "Bora Bora - Jewel of the South Pacific"
- "Am I in heaven? or is it Bora Bora?"
- "Bora Bora"
- "A Honeymoon in Bora Bora"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bora-Bora
- Hotels in Bora-Bora
- Transportation in Bora-Bora
- Nightlife in Bora-Bora
- Restaurants in Bora-Bora
- Shopping in Bora-Bora
- Warnings and Dangers in Bora-Bora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bora-Bora
- 34 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 75 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Bora-Bora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bora-Bora
Photos in Bora-BoraSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 47 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal Intro, 52 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 52 reviews, 31 photos
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoboken Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues