"A Traveling Artist" nicolettart's Profile
Where does inspiration come from? For me, it can be from observations in my travels, as well as the reinvention of ordinary things. Lately, I have improved upon the function of the simple zipper, creating wearable objects, such as the necklace you see here. Check out my travelogue, my FB page, and Etsy.com for more designs!
Well, here's my story. In 1921 my great-uncle Zio Domenico left his hometown of Molfetta in Italy and sailed to America. This picture shows the ship which brought him and many passengers to Ellis Island. He settled in NYC to raise his family. Eventually more of his brothers came to America, including my grandfather , Nonno Felice, who brought his family here in the '60's and settled in Hoboken, NJ. The family consisted of: my grandmother, Nonna Lucia, Zia Susanna, Zio VIncenzo, and my mother, Giulia, who soon married my father, Girolamo, and gave birth to me. Years later, I am happily married with a beautiful daughter named Sophia. I teach elementary art to small children and I believe that travel is really the best education.
Quando gl'Italiani sono arrivati in America, hanno imparato tre cose -- che le strade non erano sfaldato in oro; che le strade non erano sfaldato per niente; e che loro dovevano sfaldre queste strade.
~Italian Folk Saying
(English translation: When the Italians got to America, they learned three things -- that the streets were not paved with gold; that the streets were not paved at all, and that they were expected to pave them.)
Here are my grandfather Felice's parents,Giulia De Nichilo and Vincenzo Sciancalepore . These are not photographs, but paintings. They were made at the turn of the century by an artist in Buenos Aires.
The dream of the immigrants...America!
I can only imagine how
it felt to be on the ship
and finally see land...
I can almost hear the shouts
when they caught their first glimpse
of the Statue of LIberty.
"What is your name?"
The immigrants were asked this at Ellis Island. Of course, the officers did not know Italian, so many names were misspelled, shortened, or just changed.
"What is your occupation?"
Italians could only speak, well, Italian. But they understood work. They wanted to work. Are you a plumber? Si. Are you a carpenter? Si. Even if they weren't, the answer was yes. They would learn the trade, as long as they could work.
Between the 1890's and 1954 people from all over the world came to America through Ellis Island. You can still visit Ellis Island today. Go to Ellis Island Official Site for more information. It's a good starting point if you want to research your heritage.
And on VT, don't miss my Ellis Island page!
I am building most of my travel pages from an artist's viewpoint (that's right, poor and starving, didn't you see all my food tips???). My degree is in Fine Arts and I have been teaching art to young children for many years.
I believe in learning about a culture by looking at what its people have created over time, and what they have left behind.
Qualcosa di buono
Che mi illumini il mondo
Buono come te"
-from "Il Volo", Zucchero Fornaciari
I listen to all kinds of music, and being from New Jersey, of course I am a fan of my fellow B+R's ("born and raised"): Frank Sinatra, Bruce, and BON JOVI!!!!!
...I listen to all kinds of Italian music, too, from Eros Ramazzotti to Antonello Venditti, Anna Oxa, and Zucchero.
*** Zucchero Concert at the Beacon Theatre, NYC: October 25, 2011: Pure Genius!
***Zucchero in Atlantic City September 28, 2008***Check out my Atlantic City page***
...with the ones you love? I have had a passport since I was 2~and our daughter began traveling with us at 7 months. Travel as a family!!
Updated Japan pages coming soon...
Trips for 2013:
Myrtle Beach, SC
Trips for 2012:
New York City (frequent visitor)
New York City (frequent visitor)
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles
St. Barthelemy, FWI
Outer Banks, North Carolina
New England: Nova Scotia
American Southwest: Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Phoenix
See my travel map for more destinations.
Please leave a comment! Especially if you rate any of my pages, so I know who you are.
Don't forget to take a peek at my New Jersey page. You'll be surprised at what you'll find about my home state!
Disclaimer: Please note that in some older tips info may be outdated. Always do your homework!!
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Blue Mountain Beach Hotels
- Toronto Hotels
- Boca Chica Key Hotels
- Presque Isle State Park Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Talamban Hotels
- Kalba Hotels
- Sydney Hotels
- Punta Cana Hotels
- Marin City Hotels
- West Seattle Hotels
- Ichetucknee Springs State Park Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Jelutong Hotels
- Saskatoon Hotels
- Laoag City
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 538 Reviews
- 649 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
- Commented on dr.firas's profile page
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Bella Ciao (patizan song)..."
- nicolettart and kenHuocj are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "A Traveling Artist"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Traveling Artist"
- updated a New York City Travel Page "I Love New York!"
- Wrote a Review Touristy Mix...But Worth One Visit! about Balthazar in New York City Restaurants
- Uploaded a Video to Atlantic City
VideosSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 65 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey Intro, 47 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal Intro, 52 reviews, 38 photos
- Japan Intro, 45 reviews, 39 photos
- Rome Intro, 52 reviews, 31 photos
- Île Saint-Barthélemy Intro, 26 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hoboken Intro, 29 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 30 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bora-Bora Intro, 34 reviews, 21 photos
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54962 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23315 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- Philadelphia Hotels
- 2093 Reviews - 4054 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos