"A Traveling Artist" nicolettart's Profile

Globetrotting Zipper Jewelry!

Where does inspiration come from? For me, it can be from observations in my travels, as well as the reinvention of ordinary things. Lately, I have improved upon the function of the simple zipper, creating wearable objects, such as the necklace you see here. Check out my travelogue, my FB page, and Etsy.com for more designs!

Coming to America: My Heritage

Well, here's my story. In 1921 my great-uncle Zio Domenico left his hometown of Molfetta in Italy and sailed to America. This picture shows the ship which brought him and many passengers to Ellis Island. He settled in NYC to raise his family. Eventually more of his brothers came to America, including my grandfather , Nonno Felice, who brought his family here in the '60's and settled in Hoboken, NJ. The family consisted of: my grandmother, Nonna Lucia, Zia Susanna, Zio VIncenzo, and my mother, Giulia, who soon married my father, Girolamo, and gave birth to me. Years later, I am happily married with a beautiful daughter named Sophia. I teach elementary art to small children and I believe that travel is really the best education.

A Travelin' Family

Quando gl'Italiani sono arrivati in America, hanno imparato tre cose -- che le strade non erano sfaldato in oro; che le strade non erano sfaldato per niente; e che loro dovevano sfaldre queste strade.
~Italian Folk Saying

(English translation: When the Italians got to America, they learned three things -- that the streets were not paved with gold; that the streets were not paved at all, and that they were expected to pave them.)

Here are my grandfather Felice's parents,Giulia De Nichilo and Vincenzo Sciancalepore . These are not photographs, but paintings. They were made at the turn of the century by an artist in Buenos Aires.

L' America!

The dream of the immigrants...America!
I can only imagine how
it felt to be on the ship
and finally see land...
I can almost hear the shouts
when they caught their first glimpse
of the Statue of LIberty.
Can you?

"What is your name?"
The immigrants were asked this at Ellis Island. Of course, the officers did not know Italian, so many names were misspelled, shortened, or just changed.

"What is your occupation?"
Italians could only speak, well, Italian. But they understood work. They wanted to work. Are you a plumber? Si. Are you a carpenter? Si. Even if they weren't, the answer was yes. They would learn the trade, as long as they could work.

Between the 1890's and 1954 people from all over the world came to America through Ellis Island. You can still visit Ellis Island today. Go to Ellis Island Official Site for more information. It's a good starting point if you want to research your heritage.

And on VT, don't miss my Ellis Island page!

Art is Life

I am building most of my travel pages from an artist's viewpoint (that's right, poor and starving, didn't you see all my food tips???). My degree is in Fine Arts and I have been teaching art to young children for many years.
I believe in learning about a culture by looking at what its people have created over time, and what they have left behind.

Music is Life, Too

"Sogno
Qualcosa di buono
Che mi illumini il mondo
Buono come te"

-from "Il Volo", Zucchero Fornaciari

I listen to all kinds of music, and being from New Jersey, of course I am a fan of my fellow B+R's ("born and raised"): Frank Sinatra, Bruce, and BON JOVI!!!!!
...I listen to all kinds of Italian music, too, from Eros Ramazzotti to Antonello Venditti, Anna Oxa, and Zucchero.

*** Zucchero Concert at the Beacon Theatre, NYC: October 25, 2011: Pure Genius!

***Zucchero in Atlantic City September 28, 2008***Check out my Atlantic City page***

...and What Would Life Be Without Travel..

...with the ones you love? I have had a passport since I was 2~and our daughter began traveling with us at 7 months. Travel as a family!!

Updated Japan pages coming soon...

Thanks for Stopping By!

Travel Log:

Trips for 2013:
Grand Cayman
Myrtle Beach, SC

Trips for 2012:
France
Mexico
New York City (frequent visitor)

2011:
Montreal, Canada
New York City (frequent visitor)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Outer Banks, North Carolina

2007:
New England: Nova Scotia
American Southwest: Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Phoenix

See my travel map for more destinations.

Please leave a comment! Especially if you rate any of my pages, so I know who you are.

Don't forget to take a peek at my New Jersey page. You'll be surprised at what you'll find about my home state!

Happy Travels,
Nicoletta

Disclaimer: Please note that in some older tips info may be outdated. Always do your homework!!

• Intro Updated Jul 11, 2013

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Hey, Nicoletta, Anthony and Sophia, have a fantastic Christmas you all and a great new year.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Thanks Nicoletta, more reason to peruse and enjoy all you info more regularly ;-)))

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Okay, missed it by one day but it doesn't matter really cause you're celebrating all the way to Washington Sq. Park for the next two weeks! Nothing but the very best to you Nicoletta and much much more of course. Hugs and see you soon.

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I won't promise Nicoletta but big chance that I will stop by on one of the dates and most likely in the afternoon. I got stuff for Sophia I need to give you too! Thanks for the card about the show. See you soon.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

It would be great to see you...and Sophia will be thrilled. Have a great week!

• lorrainece's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Happy Birthday Nicoletta, hope it is a wonderful one xx

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Happy birthday to you! Hope it was great!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Happy Birthday Nicoletta have a nice day

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Happy Birthday Nicoletta!Wish you a great day!

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Thanks for stopping by to wish me happy birthday! So kind of you.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Thanks for stopping by to wish me happy birthday! Happy travels!

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Wishing you a Happy Birthday, Nicoletta!

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Thanks for stopping by to wish me happy birthday! So kind of you.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Happy Birthday Nicoletta :-)

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Thanks for stopping by to wish me happy birthday, Simone! Happy travels!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
nicolettart's Profile Photo

nicolettart

“Chi cerca, trova. Chi dorme, sogna.”

Real Name