Istanbul Shopping Tips by Lion_Beat
Istanbul Shopping: 304 reviews and 492 photos
Another old market of Istanbul. You can visit this place just for the aromats!
What to buy: Good you don't have to pa for smelling!
Directions: Near to Yeni Camii and Galata Bridge.
Theme: Food and Drink
What to buy: First of all be sure you are shopping in a place where they don't have fixed prices (tags)! ... :) ... That's where you can bargain!
Second: decide for yourself what would you like to buy.
3rd: decide how much you are willing to pay for that!
What to pay: Well that's really funny sometimes! Because the price sometimes can fall ten times less then initial.
Do not show your interest for the item you are interested in, ask for someting else instead, and again, and again something else. ... stop... know you can ask about your item... the price should be already smaller. Now start asking about that item, ask, ask, ask... But do not show your interes. At this time price should be even smaller! Look at the item, analise it, and... make a step like you are going away... Now the fun starts! With your first step price became smaller, look at the seller, and make the 2nd step... and go on untill you will hear the last price... And it still can be not the last price!
Another tip: try this when you don't want to buy anything, just for fun, and you will learn the real price of the item. Next time try again in some other place. After that you can buy it!
Most of the people do not come here for shopping, some of them are just passing by (making a shortcut through the bazaar), some of them are here as tourists not shoppers (just exploring). And I would say there are things to explore and see, even if you don't want to buy anything. You can take a walk in labirint of streets, streets in gold or silver, carpets or local crafts. And it's pretty much the same as it was hundreds years ago.
What to buy: You can buy for cheap silver here (if you know how!). Most of tourists buy T-shirts (with Istanbul inscription) from here. You can also buy small craft art itimes. Ask for NAZAR (The Evel eye to protect you, its blue/green color and its practically on every corner). Do not expect to find real antiques here!
What to pay: You already heard that you have to bargain here! And here is no exception... (esspecialy here)... there are no price tags here of course!
Check on my 'How to bargain tip' if you want to leran how to buy things for less!
Address: Kapali Carsi
Directions: You can enter from Beyazit Square or from Nuruosmaniye Blvd.
Theme: Local Craft
More Reviews (59)
- See All The best food in the city!
- See All La vitta e bella!
- See All Hyatt - Hayat - Life :)
- See All Yanos Fortress
- See All Misir Carsisi 2
Lion_Beat's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Explore the World
- Peoria Hotels
- Cape Blanco State Park Hotels
- Viljandi Hotels
- Stradbally Bridge Hotels
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 62 Reviews
- 100 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
- Posted in Travel Tibet Forum "RE: RE: Tibet from Shanghai in..."
- Wrote a Review The best food in the city! in Istanbul Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hyatt - Hayat - Life :)"
- Commented on one of hadrian's Istanbul travel pages
- updated a Istanbul Travelogue "Samatya - the place where I live in Istanbul"
Photos in IstanbulSee All Photos (100)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 62 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saharna Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chisinau Intro, 32 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova Intro, 25 reviews, 24 photos
- Tonglu Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gallipoli Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tipova Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Soroca Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Turkey 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Butuceni Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (11)
Latest Istanbul hotel reviews
- Eresin Taxim Premier
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2013
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013
- Ayasofya Hotel
- 339 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Alaturka Hotel
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Hotel Pamphylia
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Villa Sphendone Suites
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 3, 2013
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Holiday Inn Istanbul-Sisli
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Welcome Residence Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Keban Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- GRAND WASHINGTON
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- The Peak Hotel
- 57 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Vardar Palace Hotel Istanbul
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Pierre Loti
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2012
- Hotel Element Taksim
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2012
- Topkapi Palace- 305 Reviews, 709 Photos
- Agia Sophia - Ayasofya- 299 Reviews, 707 Photos
- Grand Bazaar- 108 Reviews, 186 Photos
- Blue Mosque - Sultanahmet- 246 Reviews, 539 Photos
- Bosphorus River- 109 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Galata Tower- 100 Reviews, 223 Photos
- Taksim Square- 35 Reviews, 74 Photos
- Princes Islands- 29 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Basilica Cistern - Yerebatan Saray- 104 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Dolmabahce Palace- 105 Reviews, 242 Photos
See All Istanbul Things to Do