"Stratford on Avon" Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon by Watsoncomper
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide: 391 reviews and 1,126 photos
Stratford on Avon
I live near Stratford in a small village called Wellesbourne. Stratford is the nearest large town but we do not conduct our business there in the summer as it is claimed that it the most tourist visited town in the UK.
The tourists come to see the home of Shakespeare and the Shakespeare theatres. During the summer months Stratford is very difficult to get around as all the roads are nearly always jammed with traffic. However it is not all bad news for the locals as the town has a wealth of leisure activities that suit tourist and locals alike.
My wife and I often go to Stratford to see the street entertainers, or visit a nice restaurant or go to the theatre.
Stratford is sited across the River Avon, Originally there was only one crossing which caused enormous traffic chaos but now there is a northern relief road, which has made a significant difference.
Eating in Stratford can be a very pleasant experience. There are many restaurants, fast food outlets and take ways through out the town covering many nationalities. The prices in general are reasonable. I think this is due to the number of restaurants available to choose from which has forced the restaurants to be realistic with their prices.
Drinking follows the same line as above. The public houses range from trendy bars to gentle retreats. Properly the most famous bar is opposite the Shakespeare Theatre. It is called The Black swan or The Dirty Duck depending on which side you approach the pub sign. The walls are adorned with photographs of the various stars that have visited it.
The town has three theatres which normally comes as a surprise, Most people know that the town hosts the Shakespeare theatre but it also has a theatre called ‘The Other Place’ and the Swan Theatre. We visit the theatre fairly regularly to see the various Shakespeare adaptations.
The town has a Leisure centre which houses the swimming pool, squash courts, outdoor training pitches and sports hall. In addition Stratford has a national hunt horse racing track, football and rugby union team as well as many other minority sports. Golf can be played at a number of venues on the town periphery.
For the tourists there are many things to do and see. The focus is on Shakespeare but the town does boast many other places to visit. Traditionally the places to visit are Shakespeare birthplace, New Place, Halls Croft, Ann Hathways Cottage and Mary Ardens House
I will expand on all these areas as I slowly build this page but here are a few websites which may help in any future plans to include Stratford on your agenda
- Pros:Lively place to visit, many restaurants
- Cons:Very crowded in the summer
- In a nutshell:Great place to live near too
I cannot have a Stratford on Avon page without a mention to Shakespeare Birth Place. The whole area is pedestrianised... more travel advice
Wellesbourne mill also features the Welsh Coracle which is an ancient small boat. It is possible to have a row in one on... more travel advice
Written Dec 29, 2006
Batsford Arboretum - Winter
Written Dec 29, 2006
Batsford Arboretum - Autumn
Watsoncomper's Related Pages
Stratford-upon-Avon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stratford on Avon"
- "The land of the Bard ~ Stratford-upon-Avon"
- "STRATFORD UPON AVON"
- "The Bard's Hometown"
- "Shakespeare's town"
- "For the Love of Will"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Hotels in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Transportation in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Nightlife in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Restaurants in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Shopping in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Warnings and Dangers in Stratford-upon-Avon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stratford-upon-Avon
- 24 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Stratford-upon-Avon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Posted in Travel Sweden Forum "Re: Driving between Copenhagen..."
- updated a Stratford-upon-Avon Travelogue "Batsford Arboretum - Autumn"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Batsford Arboretum - Autumn"
- Wrote a Review Shakesphere's Birth Place in Stratford-upon-Avon Things to Do
- Commented on one of lou31's Stratford-upon-Avon travel pages
Photos in Stratford-upon-AvonSee All Photos (42)
Top 5 Pages
- Ulricehamn Intro, 19 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stratford-upon-Avon Intro, 24 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Dublin Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Milan Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.