"Beautiful Hiking for the Beautiful People" Top 5 Page for this destination Gstaad by firechick

Gstaad Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 46 photos

Saanenland - not only for celebrities!!

I have been to Gstaad several times, starting in June of 2000, twice in 2002 and again in 2003. But I have never stayed in a hotel in Gstaad....don't think I could afford it!

Actually, I can say I never would have come here were it not for meeting my (now) husband (in Chamonix) and being invited here while he was working in the town for a summer season. We go back often now to visit friends and do more gorgeous hiking or mountain biking.

Right now the photos here were all taken one weekend (July 4 2003) but if I have time I hope to scan in photos taken with my 35mm camera of more of the Gstaad city (photos which I took in June 2000 and in 2002) and post them here. I am still building this page!

Gstaad has a special place in my heart, since in September of 2000 while on a visit here, my husband asked me to marry him. Since my husband had lived & worked here for 3 summers, my introduction to this area was quite different from that of many tourists and dealt mainly with the hiking in the area (he is a hiking maniac and did all the peaks which you can see from the town of Gstaad over those 3 summers). So my pages/memories of the area are a bit more tilted towards hiking or skiing and not to many of the other reasons people could go there (such as to be seen ;-)

Gstaad has a lot going for it - winter skiing and summer hiking are some of the big attractions. But also there are other things - a big music festival in summer (classical music in honor of the violinist/conductor Yehudi Menuhin who used to live here), country music week (ok that could be a minus depending on your tastes!), tennis tournament in summer, and even a polo cup is played here.

Some good websites for information on Gstaad are:

www.gstaad.ch
www.skigstaad.ch
www.menuhinfestivalgstaad.ch
www.swissopengstaad.com
www.countrynight-gstaad.ch
www.pologstaad.ch

Note that Gstaad is very cosmopolitan - Swiss German is the local language but a lot of people also speak English, French and German especially in the stores and restaurants. It is quite easy to travel here without knowing the local language.

Many celebrities keep homes here, and actually just walking along the paths (there are many pedestrian walkways between the streets - be sure to explore these 'wanderwegs') and peeking at the expesive and gorgeous chalets here is a wonderful way to walk off a heavy evening meal of fondue!

Other nearby towns/villages which are part of the Saanenland (as this part of Kanton Bern is called) are: Saanen, Saanenmöser, Schönried, Gsteig and Lauenen (see my Lauenen page for hiking tips there!) You may be able to find more affordable accomodations in one of these villages. Gstaad is the biggest of the aforementioned towns.

• Pros:Gorgeous gorgeous hiking, beautiful alpine setting, rolling hills and working dairy farms
  • Cons:Pricey hotels
  • In a nutshell:Saanenland is beautiful!!
  • Last visit to Gstaad: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 11, 2005

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 8:15 AM

I understand why you have a fond memory of Gstaad, in spite of the troube from trains and electricity wires! Beautiful page!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Lovely photo's of beautiful scenery.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Hi i visited Gstaad in 2003 when everywhere was covered in loads of snow - walked from Chateau Doex - and your pics show it from a lovely vantage point! i am going back next week! thx!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2005 at 6:36 AM

Everything about Switzerland is beautiful. I enjoyed your pictures.

• Guantanamera's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 9:46 PM

Stunning pics!! Wow...

• Dec 3, 2004 at 4:15 AM

Great tips, thanks for the help!

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2003 at 12:03 AM

Lovely pictures and tips, especially resturant tips are really helpful.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2003 at 12:41 PM

Thanks for this outstanding page about a wonderful Alpine region. I love it. (not a camping fan though :-))

firechick

“On Mountaineering - "The higher you get, the higher you get"”

Badges & Stats in Gstaad