"Valley of Hidden Surprises" Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta by firechick
Valle d'Aosta Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 516 photos
This valley is on the other side of the Mt Blanc tunnel from where we live. I have a separate page for the town of Aosta itself. But the smaller villages and hidden valleys are not all listed as locations on VT so this 'generic' page will have to do for the smaller towns in the Valle D'Aosta.
We tend to do day trips here several times a year, and pick a different spot each time. This page should grow over the years as we discover more hidden gems.
This valley is more narrow than the Chamonix valley, and more dry. There are vineyards and farms here. The famous Courmayeur ski area is also here. There are many old castles as well as Roman ruins dotting the landscape.
This area was not always part of Italy - it was originally part of the Kingdom/Duchy of Savoie (Savoy) (along with Chamonix and Geneva), which was an independent country since the 1100s with it's own royalty - the Duke of Savoy. The area went back and forth from French to Swiss to Italian over the centuries and really only settled into it's present state after the 2 world wars.
Many people here speak French as well as Italian, and even the Italian is peppered with French words.
After skiing at one of the Aosta valley resorts such as Champoluc, La Thuile or Courmayeur what better way to end your... more travel advice
You can take a bus or drive into Val Ferret for quite a lot of its length. It is a long flat 'hanging valley' above... more travel advice
Written Oct 23, 2003
Written Nov 11, 2003
Villeneuve - Chatel-Argent ruins
firechick's Related Pages
Valle d'Aosta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VALLE D'AOSTA"
- "Val D'Aosta - Paradise for Nature Lovers"
- "Valley of Hidden Surprises"
- "Among the western Alps"
- "Mountains, green nature, snow and traditions!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Valle d'Aosta
- Hotels in Valle d'Aosta
- Transportation in Valle d'Aosta
- Nightlife in Valle d'Aosta
- Restaurants in Valle d'Aosta
- Shopping in Valle d'Aosta
- Warnings and Dangers in Valle d'Aosta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Valle d'Aosta
- 17 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Valle d'Aosta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valle d'Aosta
- Posted in Travel Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Forum "Re: Chamonix drive holiday early..."
- Wrote a Review The place to be for Apres Ski in Courmayeur in Valle d'Aosta Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Relaxing at Pré-Saint-Didier Thermal Spa"
- created a Valle d'Aosta Travelogue "Villeneuve - Chatel-Argent ruins"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 62 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annecy Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sisteron Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gstaad Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Aiguines Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauenen Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue