"A Glass of Wine and Thou" Bourgogne by firechick
Bourgogne Travel Guide: 1,176 reviews and 3,637 photos
The Bourgogne region is a wonderful wine-producing area (Burgundy) with gorgeous small towns, filled with caves and degustations (wine storing caves and wine tasting).
In between Dijon (yes of the famous mustard) and Beaune lie a string of towns along the 'Route des Grands Crus'. Here lie some of the best vineyards in the country and the highest concentration of 'Grand Cru' vineyards (higest quality wine) in France (according to the tourist literature anyhow). Gevrey-Chambertin and Nuits-St-Georges are the major towns, but many small ones in between have their own appellation.
We went here in early October (first week) with another couple as a birthday getaway weekend. (It was birthday time for both of us girls in the couples). We all fell in love with the area's food and wine, as well as the beauty of the well-preserved villages. Many churches and buildings here date from the 12th century. It is a magical area, but also one where you should be armed with a strong will or a big budget. You will be tempted again and again by delicious food and wine. We brought many bottles home with us and spent far too much on fabulous multi-course lunches and dinners - never at the same place twice.
Fall is the perfect time to visit this area, as it is the wine harvest. In late September or early October there are all kinds of local festivals going on where you can drink freshly pressed grape juice and party with the locals. And watch out - when the grape pickers come into town with full carts, they are partying and tossing smashed up grapes on to cars and pedestrians! Loads of fun.
We stayed in Gevrey-Chambertain and also spent time in the towns of Nuits-St-George and Fixin (where we hiked through the vineyards to get to a local harvest festival).
- Pros:Great wine (duh), food and scenery
- Cons:You will spend too much money, no matter what you think!
- In a nutshell:Fabulous
firechick's Related Pages
Bourgogne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LA BOURGOGNE - l'art et le plaisir de vivre..."
- "Burgundy - Towns, vines, wines etc"
- "Bourgogne in general"
- "Driving and Drinking (safely, of course)"
- "a Wine Lover's Paradise"
- "Burgundy canal boating."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bourgogne
- Hotels in Bourgogne
- Transportation in Bourgogne
- Nightlife in Bourgogne
- Restaurants in Bourgogne
- Shopping in Bourgogne
- Warnings and Dangers in Bourgogne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bourgogne
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bourgogne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bourgogne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 62 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annecy Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sisteron Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gstaad Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Aiguines Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauenen Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue