Annecy Off The Beaten Path Tips by firechick
Annecy Off The Beaten Path: 14 reviews and 23 photos
Jousting tournament Andilly
The town of Andilly (which is not too far from Annecy) holds a medieval faire each spring starting the weekend of Pentecost (end of May normally) and also the following weekend.
The area where this fair is held is a beautiful woodland, with little encampments in the clearings and mock villages set up and real people acting out the roles of knights, peasants, artisans etc.. There were for example jousting displays, falconry, jugglers, battle re-enactments etc. all day long starting from 10am. Plenty of things for kids !
To reach Andilly - follow the signs when leaving Annecy to reach Cruseilles via Route Nationale 201, and this will lead you to Andilly which is just a few km past Cruseilles on the same road.
If going from Grenble or Chamonix, take the Cruseilles exit from the A41 motorway to get to RN 201.
2004 prices were 13euros for adults and 7 euros for children. Note that all the signs and presentations are in French so be sure you take a phrase book with you if you don't know the language well.....
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: +33 (0)220.127.116.11.64
Gorges du Fier
In Lovagny which is only 10km from Annecy you can find this interesting area which the river Fier over the centuries has carved into a slot canyon in the middle of otherwise normal looking farmland. There is a small entry fee for seeing this. The access is very easy (compare this to the section of the Verdon Gorge called the Styx in looks but to see that area you must be prepared to do a decent hike) for elderly since it is all on a raised walkway. No need for hiking boots or fitness. There is also a chateau to visit nearby called the Chateau de Montrottier which is a chateau built in the 13th and 14th centuries. The visits to the chateau are only done with a guide and there is also a fee for this. You can ask for translations of the visit if you do not speak French, which will be handed to you on paper which you can read as you are lead to each room.
Only open Spring - Fall - 15 March - 15 October.
From Annecy take the N508 towards Belllegarde and then turn onto the D14 to reach Lovagny.
Phone: 33 450 46 23 07
More Reviews (7)
firechick's Related Pages
Annecy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Annecy - One of France's Jewels"
- "Absolutely Amazing Annecy"
- "BEAUTIFUL & BUSY ANNECY!"
- "French Venice..."
- "Breathtakingly Beautiful Annecy"
- "Town at the clearest lake in Europe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annecy
- Hotels in Annecy
- Transportation in Annecy
- Nightlife in Annecy
- Restaurants in Annecy
- Shopping in Annecy
- Warnings and Dangers in Annecy
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sun Valley Hotels
- Portsmouth Hotels
- Kiawah Island Hotels
- Peekamoose Hotels
- Palm Coast
- Recreatieterrein De Lickebaert
- Kyoto Off The Beaten Path
- Boise Off The Beaten Path
- Füssen Off The Beaten Path
- Sur Off The Beaten Path
- Basketball Hall of Fame
- South Africa Off The Beaten Path
- Blackwall Reach
- Out of Saigon - Cao Dai Temple
- Amarante Off The Beaten Path
- Freiburg im Breisgau Off The Beaten Path
- Sochi Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Annecy
- 9 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 22 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Annecy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annecy
- Posted in Travel Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Forum "Re: Stay in a chalet surrounded..."
- Wrote a Review Les Gorges du Fier in Annecy Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Les Gorges du Fier"
- updated a Annecy Travel Page "Beautiful City with lakes and canals"
- Commented on one of GUYON's Annecy travel pages
Photos in AnnecySee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 62 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annecy Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sisteron Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gstaad Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Lauenen Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Aiguines Intro, 6 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Latest Annecy hotel reviews
- Alexandra Hotel
- 102 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Jardin du Chateau Bed & Breakfast
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Atria Novotel Annecy Centre
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Imperial Palace
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Hotel des Alpes
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Kyriad - Annecy Centre
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Ibis Annecy Centre
- 91 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Clos des Sens Annecy
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2012
- Nouvel Hotel
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Hotel du Palais de l'Isle
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013