"Cassis and the Calanques" Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis by firechick

Cassis Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 87 photos

Provence Sur La Mer

Cassis is a coastal town in Provence, also just a short drive from Marseilles. It is definitely a tourist destination, and so gets popular and crowded in high season.

Sadly we travelled to Cassis during a heat wave - the town was beautiful, the food was amazing but we were so hot that we only went hiking a few times, and didn't manage to work up the will to go rock climbing even once (it was 38-40C and humid most days). In June the water is too cold to swim (unless you are 'into' cold water, which some people must be as we did see people swimming from time to time, but I think it was the heat wave that drove them to it!).

We are told the best time to go here for hiking/climbing is either Spring or better yet in Fall, when the ocean has had a chance to warm over the summer. We will be heading back here again in one of those 2 seasons, as the Calanques are just too tempting to resist climbing on!

• Pros:Nice coastal town, delicious food
  • Cons:Slightly on the 'beaten path' especially in summers
  • Last visit to Cassis: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 31, 2003

Travelogues (1)

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 6:44 PM

Genypher, good tips. I am thinking about staying in Cassis while exploring Provence this summer. Karl

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2005 at 5:04 AM

I'm dreaming of seeing this region one day soon. I won't be doing any climbing, but the waterfront looks as if it would amuse me for days.

• cadzand's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2004 at 11:44 AM

Boules, pastis, sunburn, calanques, boat trips, bouillabaisse, yes ! this brings back wonderful memories. Nice page and good tips !

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2003 at 7:32 PM

Gosh that was hot to be hiking. A wonderful boat tour even if touristy. Great seafood choices. A wealth of information and good tips

firechick

“On Mountaineering - "The higher you get, the higher you get"”

Badges & Stats in Cassis