Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Warnings Or Dangers Tips by firechick Top 5 Page for this destination
Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Warnings and Dangers: 13 reviews and 11 photos
Avoid changing money/cash machines in town center
Like other tourist areas, in high seasons the pickpockets also come to town. Also if you have an expensive mountain bike or skis, be sure to keep an eye on them and lock them up when you can't watch them. Friends have had skis stolen out of their cars (unlocked car) and money taken from purses.
Recommend avoiding using the currency exchanges and cash machines in the open air in town center - pickpockets seem to hang out here 'targeting' their victims (they have a very good view from several spots where they can easily hang out and look like tourists). Then they will follow people they know have just withdrawn money until a chance arises to take it......
Report to the local Gendarmie office. Unfortunately don't expect them to give a toss....once it's gone you very likely won't get it back.
Other Contact: report to local gendarmie office
Protest against Trucks in Mont Blanc Tunnel
This is a warning to avoid causing your own embarassment and living up to a particular 'stereotype' of rude judgemental tourists. I have overheard too many English-speaking people visiting this town doing something I find really horrible (it makes me cringe whenever I see it).
It is amazing what some people will say out loud when they think that no one they are speaking about understands the language they are speaking. They will say things they would normally keep to themselves (Inside voice) in quite a loud voice to their friends/table mates (Outside voice).
This seems to be done under the (very mistaken) assumption that the people nearby/person they are referring to have no idea what's being said.
Remember that many around you will in fact know at least some English (hello -- it is a very common 2nd language) and could get quite offended at your comments. Funnily enough, this does not add to good international relations!
And those of us who do speak English natively and live here really don't want to hear your ill-informed opinions that otherwise would be kept to yourself.
Imagine saying the same thing about your own countrymen or in your own country where everyone understands you, and decide whether or not the comment is appropriate before you open your gob! ;-)
I imagine this tip applies to travellers of every nationality travelling in any country with a language difference!!! Don't be a boorish tourist...... This sort of thing only makes everyone feel miserable in the end -- so don't add to the stereotypes, whomever you are!! Strive to make the world a less judgemental and happier place to live in!
More Reviews (60)
- See All Lists of refuges with opening and...
- See All Transport Options in the Valley
- See All Tour du Mont Blanc
- See All Le Vert
- See All Tour du Mont Blanc
- See All Beginner and Intermediate skiers /...
- See All Alpine Bagels
- See All Formalities - why Bonjour is the word of...
- See All Lunch at the Col de Balme in Summer
- Gear for changing weather and outdoor...
- Steep restaurant prices and so-so...
- See All Groceries - tips for best prices and...
firechick's Related Pages
Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Climbing, Hiking, Mountain Biking, Skiing"
- "Summertime in Chamonix"
- "Chamonix-Mt Blanc"
- "in the shadow of mont blanc."
- "Mont Blanc and the French Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- Hotels in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- Transportation in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- Nightlife in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- Restaurants in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- Shopping in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- Warnings and Dangers in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- 62 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 139 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc
- Posted in Travel Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Forum "Re: Chamonix with a 2 year old..."
- Commented on the Savoyarde (ie Regional / Traditional), Chamonix-Mont-Blanc travel guide
- updated a Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Travel Page "Climbing, Hiking, Mountain Biking, Skiing"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Transport Options in the Valley"
- Commented on one of call_me_rhia's Chamonix-Mont-Blanc travel pages
- Wrote a Review Lists of refuges with opening and... in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 62 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annecy Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sisteron Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gstaad Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Aiguines Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauenen Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue