"Medieval Walled City - Great Architecture" Laon by firechick
Laon Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 77 photos
We only spent one half day in Laon, so this is not going to be an in-depth travel description.
We did not originally plan to visit this town, but driving down the road on the way from Reims to Calais, we spotted this city on a hill in the distance, and were intrigued, so exited the highway and went to see what it was all about. The town rises up built upon the only hill in a long flat area, so is quite noticable.
When we got there, we found an amazing example of a well-preserved medieval town, divided into an upper and lower part, with the older sections being at the top of the hill.
We also found out that it was a very historically important town. This town currently is the departmental capital of Aisne, and was the capital of the Carolingian empire at one point in history. It is now said to be the largest protected heritage center in France.
Besides the big cathedral, there is also a wonderful 17th century abbey (Saint Martin's) which is now used as a government building, and a Romanesque octagonal chapel built by the Knights of the Templar.
We hope to go back and explore it again on our next cross-country trip through that region. (And this time will book a hotel ahead of time!!) :-)
- Pros:Gorgeous architecture
This is definitely a great town to walk and wander in, and is small enough that you are not overwhelmed. You feel like... more travel advice
firechick's Related Pages
Laon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Highest Point in the Area"
- "Medieval Walled City - Great Architecture"
- "Historic and beautiful"
- "Laon (you say it "len" not Lens or la-ont""
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laon
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Laon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 62 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annecy Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sisteron Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gstaad Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Aiguines Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauenen Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue