"Alpine Firechick" firechick's Profile
Have been living and playing in Chamonix, France since 2001 ! See my Chamonix page for information on my favorite Alps town.
My husband is a hiking guide and ski instructor, and we have our little business called Alps Adventures.
I live in Chamonix-Mont-Blanc France with my husband and 2 Bernese Mountain Dog mixes.
We are both hikers, rock climbers and skiers and do a fair amount of trail running as well.
I am a photographer and have a website with my photography called Alps Photo.
I have commercial photos such as chalet and apartment interiors and business promotional photos as well as beautiful pictures of landscapes, flora and fauna from the Alps and lots of sports photos from mountain marathons, trail races, ultra marathons, triathlons and ski mountaineering events.
There is also an Alps Photo Blog with information about some of the more interesting shoots I have done recently, or some musing on a pertinent topic or even a tech tip.
I do not post a lot of the better photos here or post them at low-resolution ... sorry VT, I don't want them stolen ... so come and check out the shots on my website.
The french central government has acted against the wills of the people of Chamonix and the surrounding cities by allowing large trucks back through the Mont Blanc Tunnel.
Why they stuck a tunnel through the biggest mountain in Europe is beyond me, but they did. It was closed for 3 years after nearly 40 people were killed in a fire when a truck and car collided.
Now, no one wants the trucks back except the French and Italian central (not local) governments (A referendum in Chamonix where 99% voted AGAINST the return of trucks were declared 'illegitimate' by the departmental government).
The people in both Italy (on the other side of the tunnel - Val d'Aosta) and France don't want it. The pollution generated in this narrow valley by the hundreds of diesel trucks is awful and is ruining this beautiful valley! Pollution levels in Chamonix are worse than Paris especially in winter - many people in the valley are suffering increasing asthma, sinus problems etc. because of this pollution (and likely cancer though that is hard to prove due to the time lag). The pollution levels exceed EU and French standards more than 1 month out of the year now that the trucks are back ... yet still no hard rules have come down from the government to stop so many trucks from coming through ! Could it be because the state earns around €400 per truck that goes through the tunnel ???
See the website! The Association for the Respect of the Site of Mont Blanc has updates on the struggle to get the freight transported via rail (train) instead of truck.
Mostly their website is in French. Previously they appeared to be trying to reach out for more support worldwide by also having their site in Italian (Italy is at the other side of the tunnel so duh!), English (a good 30% of Chamonix is English-speaking) and German (to appeal to the Swiss and Austrians who also have alpine tunnel issues to fight). I gave my donation this year anyhow and probably will next year, unless a better organization comes along.
Personal Pages (2)
Written Jun 2, 2004
Finding lost relatives
Written Nov 14, 2002
Why we decided on Chamonix
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 177 Reviews
- 289 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
- Posted in Travel Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Forum "Re: Hiking around Chamonix in..."
- Commented on firechick's profile page
- Wrote a Review Bring toilet paper-yes. Leave on the trails - No!! in Aiguines What to Pack
- updated a Aiguines Travel Page "Aiguines France (Alpes de Haute Provence)"
- firechick and isolatedpawn are now friends.
- Commented on the Savoyarde (ie Regional / Traditional), Chamonix-Mont-Blanc travel guide
updated their Profile Page "Alpine Firechick"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Transport Options in the Valley"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 62 reviews, 80 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Valle d'Aosta Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annecy Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sisteron Intro, 9 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gstaad Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Aiguines Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lauenen Intro, 8 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cassis Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue