"Aberdeenshire - forgotten corner? NO!!!" Aberdeen by Mara88
Aberdeen Travel Guide: 490 reviews and 903 photos
Everyone is talking about the gorgeous Scottish West Coast - and of course they're right!
But here's a few little tasters for the other corner - picturesque Aberdeenshire!
Starting with the river Dee (Aberdeen meaning "mouth of the Dee"): It enters the North Sea in the city & it's valley, called Deeside, is a beautiful scenic area. You can even fish for salmon or watch them head upriver! It flows past Balmoral (the Queen's Scottish estate) & disappears into the wild after Braemar.
And on we go - from the South Deeside Road you can get a taste of some real wilderness:
Head for Loch Muick, signposted from Ballater! A walk around the loch takes around 3 hours & we had the good fortune of experiencing typical Scottish weather in June - sun when we set off, wind picking up along the way, rain by the time we arrived at the other side (of course, LOL) & a steep drop in temperature!
What a wonderful trip - just don't ever forget your waterproofs :)
More from Loch Muick (pronounced "Mick" by the way) - the more summerly aspect!
- Pros:Gorgeous scenery all around the city
- Cons:You either love the granite ... or you loath it!
- In a nutshell:"It sparkles when it rains!" (the granite, that is)
If you want to get a glimpse of rugged, remote scenery away from the West Coast, head for Strathdon, where the most... more travel advice
Mara88's Related Pages
Aberdeen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Granite City"
- "Aberdeen - The Granite City"
- "Aberdeen, A great base to see the Grampians"
- "about time..."
- "Highland Games, Stone Circles, Castles & Friends!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aberdeen
- Hotels in Aberdeen
- Transportation in Aberdeen
- Nightlife in Aberdeen
- Restaurants in Aberdeen
- Shopping in Aberdeen
- Warnings and Dangers in Aberdeen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aberdeen
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Aberdeen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aberdeen
Top 5 Pages
- Aberdeen Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Scotland Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Strathdon Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Rome Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo