"The homeland of the "Barocco Leccese"" Top 5 Page for this destination Lecce by effeti
Lecce Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 198 photos
Lecce is placed in the south-east of Italy.... in the "heel" of the boot-shaped Italian paeninsula.
Best known for it's original form of baroque art, a very light and sunny one, it's worth a visit.
Starting from the second half of the 16th century Lecce experienced a period of particular good fortune that was destined to last for two centuries. The started attracting the nobility and swallowing their icomes in a contest between ostentation and the decorating of their "palazzi", aristocratic chapels and the churches placed under their devout and munificent patronage. The presence of numerous religious orders rose a series of churches (with luxurious facades like open-air altars, a true reflection of the society of the time) and underlined an artistic flowering that led to the city being given the grandiloquent titles of the Athens of Apulia or the Florence of the Baroque. But the Baroque of Lecce has a quality all of its own because it is inextricably linked to a local secret, a formula that could not be repeated elsewhere: the unique characted of Lecce stone. This is a marly limestone with a compact and homogeneous grain, but which is soft enough to be worked with a chisel and adze.
There is also a theatrhe from roman age... This buildin (180° of a circle, was - and still is - used for play comedies... more travel advice
In the very central St. oronzo square there are the remains of the Roman amphitheatre (= the "all-round" building that... more travel advice
effeti's Related Pages
Lecce Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pearl of the Baroque"
- "The homeland of the "Barocco Leccese""
- "My town"
- "You can't go wrong if you visit Lecce"
- "Lecce the puglia baroque capital"
- "Lecce: Heat and Light"
- "work in progress"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lecce
- Hotels in Lecce
- Transportation in Lecce
- Nightlife in Lecce
- Restaurants in Lecce
- Shopping in Lecce
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lecce
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Lecce?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lecce
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Verona Intro, 56 reviews, 125 photos
- Torri del Benaco Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trani Intro, 13 reviews, 25 photos
- Rome Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos
- Montagnana Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Selinunte Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Bagnoregio Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lecce Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Polignano a Mare Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos