"Samara Region" Top 5 Page for this destination Samara by Astralka

Samara Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 89 photos

Samara is the major industrial city on the Volga River with Stalinist architecture but also with nice sandy beaches reminding you a sea bank, also the waves make that feeling ! wonderful swimming ! The river is broad and wide, Russian Mississippi, they called it, hehe.

The city has its charm and lively cultural life. However we were spending the evenings at discos, sitting out drinking beer and watching the fishermen. Russian beer is not bad ! A city guide told us that Samara is often called "Russian Chicago" because both towns have similar climate, topography and branches of industry. But you would not feel in America, I tell you, you would feel better :) But for some reason the Russians were comparing everything with America. Probably it reflects the end of communism, when they just turned towards another mad philosophy. It was almost funny, that the pretty Russian women dress-up for all occasions, showing themselves on streets and sidewalks in high heels, while the men were wearing track suit or overalls and a bottle of beer or vodka in a pocket.

Btw, the city used to be called Kuibischev, in case you hear it.

a useful link:

• Last visit to Samara: Dec 2000
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2004

• Aug 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM

i took the overnight from Samara to Moscow. About the heater. My Russian friends told me that on a Russian train, if the window is closed you cant open it and if it is open you cant close it ;) I suspect the same is true of the heaters ;)

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 12:39 PM

Interesting page. I really love the Volga, but only stayed a few hours in Samara. Maybe more some other time...

• Jul 27, 2004 at 12:49 PM

Thx for stopping by. You've great vivid pics. I've classamates from Brno. The racism is directed more to non-whites. But of course, I've met open-minded Norwegians. It is just that this is the country I am frequently exposed to unpleasant racism.

• Vcela's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 12:49 AM

Very interesting!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2004 at 11:13 AM

great Photos!

• Intrepidduck's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 9:28 PM

Very inviting pictures you have.

• Jun 19, 2003 at 10:58 AM

hake popisky :) only not sure if i like more to meet or not to meet russian mouse

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2003 at 8:56 PM

great pics ! I am glad I did not meet any russian mice in my hotelroom in Moscow. But somehow I liked Kbac very much !

Astralka

“Don't put your pc in the backpack ;o)”

Badges & Stats in Samara