"One of my personal highlights" scrooge1947's Profile
One of my most memorable trips (1998) was when a group of then running mates hired the ex Sir Peter Blakes Whitbread Racer Lion New Zealand , 24 metre Maxi Yacht.
We sailed from Wellington Harbour across the straits to the Malborough Sounds and return , we should have been back late afternoon , but with some gear failure and then putting in some tacks we arrived back in Wellington aprox. 9pm.
We had the captain/owner and two crew otherwise that was it, our wives are now really sick about hearing about it , however many stories come out everytime we are to-gether, some are growing!
I am concerned that some people think I am a sailor , in case I didnt make the above clear, this was a one off , although i'd love to do it again.9 just want to keep the records straight)
I have had an interest in running since 1987 and have completed ten Marathons (2 in Hawaii ) and many half marathons, several relays around Lake Taupo , Around the Mountain(from Waiouru) and Mount Taranaki and a relay through The Molesworth Station, the largest sheep station in NZ, which is aprox from below Blenheim to Hamner Springs in the South Island.
After a few injuries I have now completed a few Half Marathons and relays in race walking, and the body and mind is saying I'm not so keen anymore, so we will see.
This was taken at the Fosters Cup horse races at Trentham, Wellington.
I was in a coporate tent when I noticed the then NZ Prime Minister Jim Bolger and Rod Stewart were leaning on the race rails chating, I thought this was an apropiate time to saddle up and within a few minutes it was Jim , Rod and Scrooge, then our own Rachael Hunter came back and security arrived and I was forced back, unbelieavable I thought.
One of the people I was with said u know Rod chat to him and I will take a photo, the guy in the background was his minder but fortunately Rod remembered me and said let him in.
The only regret I made up a stupid conversation long enough for this photo.
For what its worth Jim & Rod were just two people chatting at the races who also chatted to a nobody.
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 375 Reviews
- 424 Photos
- 6 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Holiday advice"
- Commented on travelfrosch's profile page
- Wrote a Review Manawatu Gorge Tracks in Palmerston North Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Manawatu Gorge Tracks"
updated their Personal Page "WHERE HAVE I BEEN ????"
- updated a Palmerston North Travel Page "Palmerston North North Island N.Z."
- scrooge1947 and unravelau are now friends.
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 52 reviews, 53 photos
- Kalgoorlie Intro, 45 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Western Australia Intro, 44 reviews, 47 photos
- Venice Intro, 39 reviews, 40 photos
- Fiji Intro, 39 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tongariro National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Ballarat Intro, 17 reviews, 18 photos
- Kanchanaburi Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Albany Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos