"Ipswich - County Town of Suffolk" Top 5 Page for this destination Ipswich by ratherton

Ipswich Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 151 photos

On my return from working abroad for five years, I moved to a new house about 2km from the centre of Ipswich.

Landmarks - The Orwell Bridge

The Orwell Bridge is the part of the A14 which cross the River Orwell to the south of the town.

The structure is instantly recognisable to people from the area and it is easily identified from the air when flying into or out of London Stansted airport.

It was built between 1979 and 1982 at a cost of 24 million (pounds sterling). It is almost 1 mile long and at it's peak, is 146 feet about the river. At the time of construction, it was the longest concrete span bridge in the world.

Old Buildings

Like many towns in England, there are many old buildings in the town. This wonderful black and white timber building is near the town centre and is in fact the base of the solicitors.

The 2 policemen walking past don't normally wear flourescent jackets, there was probably a football match being played the day this photo was taken.

• In a nutshell:My home
  • Last visit to Ipswich: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2007

• Aug 10, 2004 at 12:24 PM

I think Tolly's brewed elsewhere now. Where's the wreck in your pic? Jem

• Jewels's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2004 at 11:53 AM

My old hometown! - I also used to work for Wills (formerly Willis, Faber & Dumas) in the Marine Insurance dept - Nice to see another page about Ipswich! Thanks :o)

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2004 at 9:47 AM

nice tips Rob, l might pass on visiting the football ground tomorrow though LOL thanks for the info

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2004 at 12:06 PM

I just love to say the name of this town. I like the way it sounds...lol. Interesting page.

• chrishc's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2003 at 1:42 AM

Take it from me Tolly is good

• soccergrrl's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2003 at 2:32 PM

As we say here in America: SUH-WEET! I'll have to watch for your flag in the future . . .

ratherton Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Ipswich

Have you been to Ipswich?

Friends