"Karlskrona" Top 5 Page for this destination Karlskrona by ratherton
Karlskrona Travel Guide: 63 reviews and 164 photos
This is the town in Sweden where I worked for more than six years. Traditionally, Karlskrona has been a Naval base (dating back to the 17th century) and more recently it has attracted several Telecoms companies.
The old spelling of the name is Carlskrona and the town is listed as a World Hertiage Site.
The contrast between summer and winter is incredible. Some of the Swedes I work with who originate from further north, think Karlskrona is quite a dark place in the winter. This is due to the fact we don't get as much snow as they do 'up north'.
In the summer, the town and surrounding area is at it's best. There are numerous beaches and the sea temperature rises about 20 degrees.
King Karl XI founded the town in 1680 to help strengthen the control of the Baltic. 33 islands form the town, the main one is Trossö.
Until a few years ago, apart from the residents, the town was exclusively a naval base where many Swedes came to do their national service.
Karlskrona was once the point of a major incident during the Cold War when a Russian submarine ran aground. The Swedes didn't want to let it go and the Russians wanted it back. Eventually, it was all sorted out.
More recently, Karlskrona has experienced strong IT growth with many companies locating here and the Telecom City network has been established.
Like any town, any where in the world, there are small stories I can tell you which are unique to Karlskrona. Some are strange and some are funny. These are a few I've chosen to share with you:
1. Burger King Went Bust. One of the most successful fast food chains in the world with a prime location on Ronnebygatan but it still went bust.
2. A couple of years ago I was driving home from work and found part of the town closed off by the police. Later, I found out that the top floor of the fire station had burnt down.
3. Earlier this summer, I went into a jewellers as my watch strap needed repairing (it needed a new pin). The guy went into the back to fix it and after 10 minutes (and lots of swearing) he came out, handed me the pin and said he didn't have time to fix it. When I got home I had a look at it and the pin was too short - great jeweller.
4. The optician wasn't much better. A friend broke the arm off a pair of glasses. The jeweller couldn't match the colour (not even close) but said it didn't matter as no-one could see both sides at the same time. He also wanted 2.000sek ($250)
- Pros:Wonderful beaches in the summer
- Cons:Very remote from other main cities
You need to hire a car for this and drive north into Småland where you will find the heart of the Swedish glass... more travel advice
Aspo in a small island in the Karlskrona area and you can get there on the free ferry which runs several times a day.... more travel advice
ratherton's Related Pages
Karlskrona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Karlskrona - my home"
- "Welcome to Yogesh Bhole's Karlskrona Page"
- ""Jag elska Sverige", is what you say after a visit"
- "E-v-i-t-a's new Karlskrona Page"
- "Igraine's new Karlskrona Page"
- "Kaitlin's new Karlskrona/Ronneby Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karlskrona
- Hotels in Karlskrona
- Transportation in Karlskrona
- Nightlife in Karlskrona
- Restaurants in Karlskrona
- Shopping in Karlskrona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Karlskrona
- 15 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Karlskrona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karlskrona
Photos in KarlskronaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Moscow Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 23 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karlskrona Intro, 15 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 21 reviews, 19 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ipswich Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Perth Intro, 13 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayia Napa Intro, 10 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue