"A day in Buenos Aires" Buenos Aires by L-A
Buenos Aires Travel Guide: 4,773 reviews and 8,861 photos
While we were in Buenos Aires, there was a financial crisis. The peso was devalued in 2002, and when we went the people could not access their own bank accounts - the government had frozen them. They had three options - 1. Get about 30 cents on the dollar, 2. Have their own money as bonds which would be paid back in ten years, 3. Wait and see.
Meanwhile people have written 'charros' or thieves on many of the banks in protest. People do need their money to live and many are also out of work...
Update - April 6/03 - I've now heard that people can now access their own money... this is great news!
The mothers, grandmothers, sisters etc of those lost in the Dirty War have peaceful protests every Thursday at the Plaza de Mayo. The square is painted with their symbol - the scarf in thanks.
They are now one of the biggest peace movements in South America
This is a barrio from the 19th century of Italians. It is very colourful and has many tourists. However, don't come here at night and stay in the areas where the people are.
- Pros:good prices (in Feb 2003)
- Cons:very hot in their summer
- In a nutshell:More than just Tango and history
Maureen, our Irish friend, got to dance with a local (the local is dressed all in bronze). Local portenos don't bite and... more travel advice
L-A's Related Pages
Buenos Aires Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buenos Aires, a city I really LOVE!"
- "Buenos Aires 2004"
- "Mi Buenos aires Querido..."
- "Buenos Aires the local way!"
- "My Home Away from Home"
- "BUENOS AIRES - I AM ALWAYS BACK!!!!!"
- "Buenos Aires - it's great!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buenos Aires
- Hotels in Buenos Aires
- Transportation in Buenos Aires
- Nightlife in Buenos Aires
- Restaurants in Buenos Aires
- Shopping in Buenos Aires
- Warnings and Dangers in Buenos Aires
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buenos Aires
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Buenos Aires?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buenos Aires
Top 10 Pages
- Picton Intro, 8 reviews, 53 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Placid Intro, 4 reviews, 52 photos, 4 travelogues
- Key West Intro, 3 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Marsabit National Reserve Intro, 8 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 2 reviews, 42 photos, 5 travelogues
- Quebec Intro, 2 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Clarkdale Intro, 1 review, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- L'Anse-Saint-Jean Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos, 4 travelogues
- Migori Intro, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bracebridge Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues