"Make the right turns when you're here" Sweden by dave_21
Sweden Travel Guide: 12,620 reviews and 38,054 photos
About this site
I have tried to summarize my own thoughts and opinions what to see and what not to miss at this site.
The tips on this site is tips that you wont find anywhere else. Most people havn't heard of these places and I guess that some people havn't been just right at that particular spot I'm vriting on.
What do I think about Sweden?
Well that's not an easy question.
I am born and raised in Sweden, all my ancestors is Swedes or Norweagans. It's a great country to live in, we have exellent welfare, our public health services is great and the education level is high. Not every country can offer this. When I think of the all the poverty in the world I know how lucky I am. Living in Sweden is simply great!! It's clean everywhere and you'll be fined on an high amount for just throwing paper on the Street. We also have the four seasons wich are all beautiful in its own way!
What do I think about traveling in Sweden?
It's a quite expensive country but cheaper then our neighbors Denmark, Norway and Finland. (Generally) My recommend is to visit more than one place if you go here. If you f.ex visit Stockholm you will have a great time visiting all great historical monuments, museums, amusment parks, castles etc. but you will miss so much other things! Did you know that we have great Fields in the South were the spring arrive in late February? Did you know that in our north we have high mountains and Tundra where the snow never melts away? What I want to say is that Cities is great but the countryside is awsome! When people think of Sweden, they might think of Stockholm, Göteborg and snow. Sure, those things are here. But it's a shame more people don't see our Wilderness.
My general recommend is: Visit a city and go out hiking afterwards! :-)
I'll keep on updating this page until I think it's complete..
About 14,000 years ago, some of the ice covering what is now Sweden started melting. Evidence has been found that there was human life in Sweden by 9000 BCE. The inhabitants were generally hunters and fishers, until about 550-800 CE when Sweden's inhabitants settled and became a primarily agricultural society.
Then, for the next 250 years, they went through a period of expansion (the "Viking Age"), mostly eastward, as far as the Caspian Sea. The vikings' activities consisted of: trading, plundering and making temporary settlements.
In about the year 1000, the provinces of Sweden combined to form one country. In was around this time, too, that Sweden became Christianized, although the pagan Nordic religion was still around for another century or so.
Sweden continued expanding and had taken over Finland during the 12th and 13th centuries. In 1389, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden united under the Danish Queen Margareta. This union broke up in 1521, after a Danish union king had 80 important Swedish men executed due to conflicts between them and the central government, and the Swedes rebelled.
After that, Gustav Vasa was elected king (make sure you see the Vasa Museum in Stockholm). For the next 140 years, or so, Sweden battled like crazy, taking over all kinds of places in the Baltic, and by the end was considered a major power in northern Europe.
But, you know how that goes; Russia took over Finland, the other provinces that Sweden won were taken back. So now Sweden, while being a great country, cannot be said to be a "dominating" country. And somehow this country of vikings has turned into a country of peaceful, courteous citizens.
- Pros:We have kalles kaviar, snus and four seasons. And of course the "right of common access" which is unique
- Cons:It's hard to tell if someone is angry at you =) I guess the weather for some, snow and cold in the winters! And we have Lutefisk!!
- In a nutshell:The Oblong Sweden brings you great history and enjoyment of the choppy countryside
This is endless, but some of your local customs: What is Snus? Snus is snuff in english, but we don't sniff it, we... more travel advice
I could add tons of tips in this theme, but not all people wants to stay cheap. If you have money, go stay at a luxury... more travel advice
Written Jun 15, 2003
Landscapes, North Sweden
Written Jun 15, 2003
Landscapes, South Sweden
dave_21's Related Pages
Sweden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Sweden!"
- "It's in my blood"
- "Sverige - beautiful all year round :-)))"
- "Sweden - Sverige"
- "Make the right turns when you're here"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sweden
- Hotels in Sweden
- Transportation in Sweden
- Nightlife in Sweden
- Restaurants in Sweden
- Shopping in Sweden
- Warnings and Dangers in Sweden
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sweden
- 240 Reviews
- 367 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 17 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Sweden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sweden
- Commented on one of pedrocas's Sweden travel pages
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Re: Warmest European Holiday..."
- Wrote a Review Snus, Knackebrod and Nyckelharpa in Sweden Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Snus, Knackebrod and Nyckelharpa"
- updated a Sweden Travel Page "Make the right turns when you're here"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sundsvall Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Skene Intro, 30 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tärnaby Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sweden Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varberg Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Tärnasjön Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abisko Nationalpark Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Tarfala Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
Top Sweden hotels
- Stockholm Hotels
- 4012 Reviews - 9756 Photos
- Hornborgasjön Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 15 Photos
- Uppsala Hotels
- 310 Reviews - 817 Photos
- Göteborg Hotels
- 941 Reviews - 1854 Photos
- Lund Hotels
- 96 Reviews - 191 Photos
- Malmö Hotels
- 477 Reviews - 1033 Photos
- Jönköping Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 83 Photos
- Karlstad Hotels
- 130 Reviews - 181 Photos
- Kalmar Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 114 Photos
- Örebro Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 206 Photos
- Växjö Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Karlskrona Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Kiruna Hotels
- 177 Reviews - 355 Photos
- Halmstad Hotels
- 58 Reviews - 95 Photos
- Visby Hotels
- 146 Reviews - 374 Photos