"The City with Both Darkness and Light" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna by dave_21
Kiruna Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 365 photos
Kiruna is a place of contrasts, where the summer sun shines for almost two full months without setting, while the polar night lowers its dark blue blanket over the area for the last three weeks of December. The contrasts are seen also in other ways, for here we find the ancient Saami (Lappish) crafts and ways existing side by side with the high-tech that has made Kiruna a unique European research centre.
Kiruna Municipality is the northernmost municipality in Sweden and the largest by area. The municipality is half as large as Switzerland, covering 20,000 square kilometres. At one time, the geography books had Kiruna as the world’s biggest town, but a reform in the 1970s abolished the term town in Sweden and Kiruna is now a municipality. From our ”town mountain” Kebnekaise, 2,117 metres above sea level, (Sweden’s highest mountain), we see 1/11th of Sweden. Half a dozen summits in the municipality exceed 2,000 metres above sea level.
There are more than 6,000 lakes in Kiruna. Torneträsk, the largest, is more than 70 kilometres long. Within the municipal borders, there are seven large unspoilt rivers. These are the Kalix, Torne, Lainio, Rautas, Vittangi, Könkämä and Muonio. The area is vast and since 85% of the municipality’s population live in Kiruna community, it is extremely sparsely populated. In other words, this is what is often termed ”the last wilderness in Europe”.
I have been here many times but last time my friend and I where here to climb Swedens highest mountain and for trekking and fishing! And so we did...
Sunrise and Sunset in Kiruna
Kiruna latitud :67.83 longitud :20.43
Midnightsun from 28 May, to 16 July during 50 days
Polarnight from 12 Dec, to 31 Dec. during 20 days
- Pros:A what a magnificent land, you'll fell free as a bird here...
- Cons:Well if you don't like Long days in summer and Short days in winter I guess that's a con..
- In a nutshell:Sami's, Reindeers, Tundra and Wilderness!
This is an very important space station were people all around the world works. They design, launch and operate space... more travel advice
The sami's often put a bell on some Reindeers in a herd. So you easily know if they belong to someone or if they're just... more travel advice
dave_21's Related Pages
Kiruna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City with Both Darkness and Light"
- "The Northest town of Sweden"
- "Dogsledding in Kiruna"
- "Above the Arctic Circle"
- "On top of Sweden"
- "Giron - mines, space and fun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiruna
- Hotels in Kiruna
- Transportation in Kiruna
- Nightlife in Kiruna
- Restaurants in Kiruna
- Shopping in Kiruna
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiruna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kiruna
- 24 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Kiruna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiruna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sundsvall Intro, 23 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- Skene Intro, 30 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tärnaby Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sweden Intro, 18 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varberg Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Tärnasjön Intro, 26 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Abisko Nationalpark Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Tarfala Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue