"Cobblestone Streets of Parati" Parati by coconutwireless
Parati Travel Guide: 271 reviews and 893 photos
The historical old town of Parati is only a short four hours by bus from Rio de Janeiro. The town now declared a UNESCO World Heritage site consists of Portuguese traders homes with bright white facades. These houses are decorated with simple and beautiful patterns as well as colourful window frames. Nowadays they accommodate artist workshops, pousadas (hostels), restaurants or bars. Literally every stone is carrying historical importance
In Parati literally every stone is carrying historical importance.The huge rounded stones with whom the streets are covered, stem from Portugal. The portuguese sailing ships, coming from the Old World, carried these stones as ballast. After the ships had been reloaded with the precious colonial goods, the stones have been used as material for road construction.
Almost every vistitor of Parati will want to take a boat trip to the numerous islands of the bay. Several boats are waiting at the quai, small ones but also big yachts that are able to carry up to 20 persons.
Departure: 11:00am - Duration: 6 Hours
Because the weather had been quite rainy we decided not to take the trip. But I think it would be most enjoyable.
You are able to snorkel and lunch, drinks, or snacks are usually provided depending on which boat you take. You can go to the quai a little bit before 11:00 am and there are many boats you can negotiate with or you can go to one of the many agencies in town that offer the tours.
- Cons:Difficult to walk on the cobblestone - so wear good walking shoes
- In a nutshell:Wonderful Historic Center with good restaurants and fun shops
A comfortable 4- 41/2 hour bus ride from main bus station in Rio. Much cheaper than taking a tour. Get your tickets abut... more travel advice
coconutwireless' Related Pages
Parati Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paraty - An Oasis of History and Charm"
- "CHARMING PARATI"
- "Parati - Great Colonial Relic"
- "Parati - not just a sleepy seaside town"
- "AH,MY BEAUTIFUL PARATY!"
- "Gold, sea, architecture and life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Parati
- Hotels in Parati
- Transportation in Parati
- Nightlife in Parati
- Restaurants in Parati
- Shopping in Parati
- Warnings and Dangers in Parati
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Parati
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Parati?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Parati
Top 10 Pages
- Jordan Intro, 18 photos, 3 travelogues
- Egypt Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Salvador da Bahia Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- South Africa Intro, 1 review, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brazil Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lanai Intro, 10 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 1 review, 8 photos, 3 travelogues
- Parati Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Mendoza Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
Latest Parati hotel reviews
- Pousada Guarana Hotel
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 26, 2013
- Pousada Bambu Bamboo
- 175 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Othon Pousada Villa Del Sol Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2012
- Pousada Do Sandi
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Pousada Porto Imperial Parati
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 13, 2013