"TALK STORY" coconutwireless's Profile

ISLAND STYLE

Hawaii is the 50th state in the Union and is comprised of eight major islands: Oahu where the majority of the population is concentrated and you will find the famous Waikiki Beach, Maui, Kauai, Molokai, Lanai, Niihiau, Kahoolawe and the Big Island where you''ll find the active volcanoes of Manuna Loa and Kilauea. Click on this website to find out additional information about these ilsands.

I am blessed to live on the nothern most island in the Hawaiian Chain -the island of Kauai more popularly known as the "Garden Island" because of its beauty and lush vegetation.

The population of the island is about 60,000 residents, however . we average about 80,000 tourists a month.

I haven't always lived here and moved from San Jose California about four years ago. Both my husband and adapted to island living immediately.

Travel is our passion as you can see by the travel map.

If you who are thinking of visiting our island --send an e-mail and I will do my best to answer any questons you might have
"living with Aloha"
"the coconut wireless"

Around the IslandHome

Kalalau lookout located on the West side of the island in Kokee State Park provides you with a panoramic view of the Kalalau Valley, the largest valley on the Na Pali coast. This point with its jagged cliffs (on a clear day) provides the visitor with spectacular views of the Pacific -- where the horizon meets the ocean and the cliffs plunge down to the beach below. The Kalalau Valley was inhabited until 1919. Don't miss this very special place.

Home Sweet Home

I tell people we live on a houseboat. Well what I really mean is that the condo that we live in is barely 600 sq. ft. But the panoramic view from inside and our patio make it all worth being "space challenged. We have a view of the ocean and reef and the Kilauea Light house in the far distance.

Sunrise- Sunset

While I am rarely up to witness one of our glorious sunrises -- I managed to catch this one on film and although we don't face in the direction to see the sunsets they are equally as spectacular .

Somewhere over the Rainbow

Did you know while South Africa is known as the "Rainbow Nation" - Hawaii is known as the "Rainbow State". This is illustrated by a rainbow on all Hawaii drivers' license and license plates.

We have a saying "No rain, No Rainbows"

Surfs UP!!

This was taken on the North Shore during a winter storm surf. Waves can get as high as 40 ft. The surf is always higher on the North Shores of all the Hawaiian Islands during the winter (hey what?) months and the opposite in the summer.
So if you visit us in the summer and like to surf mo betta you go to the South shore. But keep in mind its a small island and you can still enjoy staying on the North Shore with its beautiful Napili Coast and surf on the South Shore.

Beautiful Hanalei Bay s approximately four miles from where I live. It is where the local canoe clubs practice rowing, local kids hang out and jump off the pier and where you can walk out on as far as 50-60 yards into the ocean on a sandy bottom and see your feet the water is so clear.
In the winter it is good for surfing and in the summer for swiming and body boarding.

'Maui no ka oi,' (Maui is the best)
but we say Kaua'i no need brag.

A Many Splendored Thing

one of the "ono" (good) things about living in Kauai is that we are very ethnically diversified.
Which means we get to experience many different kinds of culture like the Obon Dance Festivals. The season of remembrance of honoring the spirit of those that passed on celebrated with special services and festivals.(Japanese).
One of my favorite festivals is HEIVA I KAUAI IORANA TAHITI , a weekend of great Tahitian entertainment, an array of Polynesian arts and crafts, and delicious local foods.

• Intro Updated Jun 15, 2006

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM

It's great to have a birthday on the 14th July - you should always celebrate it in Paris with the amazing firework.
    Svetlana Bellon

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Thank you for accepting my friendship
    Svetlana Bellon

• Mar 26, 2012 at 2:49 AM

How do you Russia?
    If anyone needs any advice or assistance, please contact us.(sergeys_t@mail.ru) I live in Moscow.

• SONG's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM

The water in the picture of the canoe club is absolutely and unbelieveably BLUE!!! I love it. What a joy for you to live in Hawaii.
    I have been there numerous times and love it each time. Thanks for your pictures. Kathy in Sunny Florida......

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2011 at 4:36 AM

Glad to hear you are coming to Israel! If you have any specific questions about Jerusalem, let me know.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Thanks for your visit to my Ascona page! Happy travels!

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Hi, love the photos

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 11:33 PM

I'm sure you'll find they're OK. Say hello tp Aleppo for me when you get there - one of my all-time favourite places. leyle

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2009 at 9:14 PM

..you can hear it on the Coconut Telegraph... Great photos of your islands.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Nice to hear that someone else knows what a coconut wireless means, and "talk story" I drive people crazy with this stuff "Shaka bra!" Lived in Lahaina for five years. Mai no ka oi....Aloha nui......Erik

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
coconutwireless's Profile Photo

coconutwireless

“"traveling with Aloha"”

Real Name
Bev Olsen
Location
Hanalei, Hawaii (State of)
Member Since