"Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericton by Canuck5
Fredericton Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 328 photos
Hello from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada.
This is a landscape collage of images of the south side of Fredericton, taken from the north side of the river. The Walking Bridge (the former train bridge) is to the left (east), and the Westmorland Bridge is to the right. The Princess Margaret Bridge is beyond the Walking Bridge, out of view.
Just a short history lesson... Fredericton was originally known as Ste. Anne's Point, and at the end of the 17th century, it was known as the capital of Acadia. Governor Villebon erected Fort Nashwaak in 1692, on the north side of the river, to protect its French inhabitants. However, in 1785, Governor Thomas Carleton changed the name to "Fredericstown", in honor of the second son of King George III, the Duke of York, Prince Frederick. Shortly thereafter, the name was shortened to "Fredericton". The city's population by 1850 was roughly 4,400.
MoneySense Magazine publishes an annual list of Canada's Best Places to Live, ranking 123 communities with a population greater than 10,000, based on weather, real estate values, income levels, unemployment rates, discretionary income, crime rates, and signs of prosperity. In 2006, Fredericton was in 24th place. In 2007, it took 5th place, behind Ottawa-Gatineau, Halifax, Quebec City, and Guelph. In 2008, it came in 3rd, behind Ottawa-Gatineau (1st place), and Victoria. [http://list.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/2008/Default.aspx?sp2=1&d1=a&sc1=6 ]
There's more of the scoop on the city on my Homepage, but I'm always adding tidbits to my Fredericton pages.
I have completed my Hotel/Accommodations pages, listing all of the hotels, motels and inns you'll find in or just outside of Fredericton. So, if you're planning to visit our city, I hope you will find this information helpful.
There are also a number of Bed & Breakfast places in and around Fredericton, cabins (such as Robin's Court, formerly the Holyoke Cabins), as well as a number of RV campgrounds, such as the Hartt Island campground, or the Wal-Mart parking lot (!), that I have not listed.
If you're looking for a place to eat, I've listed over 25 restaurants you'll find in Fredericton. You're bound to settle on one or two that will appeal to you.
If you're looking for information or pics on anything in particular, let me know.
Have eaten here a couple of time. Good food, and good value for the money. more travel advice
*** 2010 UPDATE ***: Jives closed its doors in 2010. *** 2012 UPDATE ***: It re-opened in 2012 as the Chinese 777... more travel advice
- See All Odell Park
- See All Robin's Inn Motel
- Tourist Information Centers
- Tobogganing in the city
Canuck5's Related Pages
Fredericton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada"
- "Fredericton and New Brunswick"
- "New Brunswick's best kept secret!"
- "Fredericton, New Brunswick"
- "Fredericton, New Brunswick- My Home Away From Home"
- "A nice place at Saint John's River's shore"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericton
- Hotels in Fredericton
- Transportation in Fredericton
- Nightlife in Fredericton
- Restaurants in Fredericton
- Shopping in Fredericton
- Warnings and Dangers in Fredericton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericton
- 67 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Fredericton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericton
Photos in FrederictonSee All Photos (93)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericton Intro, 67 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint John Intro, 13 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Charlottetown Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Miramichi Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos
- Ottawa Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moncton Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Norfolk Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
- Bathurst Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- McAdam Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Quebec Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos