"Ensenada, Mexico: More than just a Tourist Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Ensenada by Stephen-KarenConn
Ensenada Travel Guide: 298 reviews and 653 photos
Ensenada, about 109 kilometers (68 miles) south of the US/Mexican border at Tijuana, is just far enough from the border to offer a more authentic Mexican experience than the eight "border towns" I have visited. People who come here just to drink, party and shop may not have a true international experience at all, but for the curious and adventurous traveler there is much of Mexico that may be experienced in Ensenada.
Four-lane toll highway Mex. 1-D is a quick convenient route south from Tijuana. There are three toll booths between the two cities. I am told that this stretch of highway is also patrolled by the Green Angels, who offer free towing and assistance to motorists who may break down, but motorists who run out of gas are required to pay for it.
With a population of near 250,000, Ensenada is the third largest city in Baja California, and one of its foremost summer resorts. The city spreads over scrub-covered hills that tumble down to the shores of Bahia de Todos Santos (All Saints Bay). The name "Ensenada" actually means "bay" in Spanish, and the city obviously derives much from the bay with it's large harbor. Cruise ships dock here, as well as freighters and boats of every other description. The city has a tourist face, but also a more authentic local side to be discovered. The surrounding area offers abundant opportunities for exploration of natural wonders as well as historic and cultural interests.
It's a shame that many Americans seem to think of Ensenada as only a party town - a place for young Americans to come and get drunk. For the informed visitor this charming city by the bay has so much more to to offer. We share just a few highlights from our own trip here. We will have to return to the area to explore more of the national parks, wine country, pueblos, missions, museums, hiking trails and much more that we did not have time to see on our most recent visit.
I love chicken just about any way it can be served, and when we walked past El Charro Restaurant and Bar and saw these... more travel advice
We had a difficult time finding adequate information about things to see and do in Ensenada until we went to the State... more travel advice
- Expect Great Weather ... Usually!
- Fishing and Water Sports
- See All Cheap Taxis / Friendly Service
- See All Plaza Civica
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Ensenada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ensenada Mexico"
- "Ensenada, Mexico: More than just a Tourist Town"
- "Ensenada and La Bufadora"
- "Ensenada = Fish Tacos !"
- "BAH HUMBUG, I'M GAGA OVER BAJA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ensenada
- Hotels in Ensenada
- Transportation in Ensenada
- Nightlife in Ensenada
- Restaurants in Ensenada
- Shopping in Ensenada
- Warnings and Dangers in Ensenada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ensenada
- 33 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Ensenada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ensenada
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- updated a Ensenada Travel Page "Ensenada, Mexico: More than just a Tourist Town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ensenada, Mexico: More than just a Tourist Town"
- Commented on one of marcmalano's Ensenada travel pages
- Wrote a Review Irresistable Barbeque Chicken in Ensenada Restaurants
Photos in EnsenadaSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos