"Majahual, Quintana Roo, Mexico & the Costa Maya" Top 5 Page for this destination Majahual by Stephen-KarenConn
Majahual Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 117 photos
Majahual, a tiny fishing village on the Caribbean coast of Mexico, is about half way between Cancun and the country of Belize, in the state of Quintana Roo. The government of Mexico has constructed a dock on the beach here, called Costa Maya, to accommodate the largest cruise ships, and many people say that it is destined to become the next Cancun. If so, it has a long way to go. On our visit there, in January, 2007, we saw only one small hotel - a mile or so from the beach - and a few local restaurants and bars. In 2005 the population of Majahual was 282. It has only recently been connected by highway to the Mexican interior.
On the day of our visit, three large cruise ships were at the dock, disgorging thousands of tourists. There are several shops near the dock, and a good beach. Also, several shore excursions are available for cruise passengers. To me, the most interesting of these are to the Mayan ruins of Chacchoben and Kohunlich. These sites are substantially less excavated than the better known pyramids of the Yucatan Peninsula near Cancun, but every bit as intriguing.
Adjacent to the docks at Costa Maya is a collection of recently built shops where one may buy Mexican crafts and... more travel advice
Stephen-KarenConn's Related Pages
Majahual Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jungle Port-of-call"
- "Much more than a cruise stop-MUCH more"
- "Majahual, Quintana Roo, Mexico & the Costa Maya"
- "Costa Maya (Majahual)"
- "Mexico for Cruise Ships"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Majahual
- Hotels in Majahual
- Transportation in Majahual
- Restaurants in Majahual
- Shopping in Majahual
- Warnings and Dangers in Majahual
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Majahual
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (177)
Have you been to Majahual?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Majahual
- Posted in Travel Guatemala Forum "Re: Guided Tours"
- Commented on one of Fasulye's Majahual travel pages
- updated a Majahual Travel Page "Majahual, Quintana Roo, Mexico & the Costa Maya"
- Wrote a Review Mexican Crafts and Souvenirs in Majahual Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mexican Crafts and Souvenirs"
Photos in MajahualSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 79 reviews, 166 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natchez Intro, 31 reviews, 102 photos
- Frankfort Intro, 27 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Austin Intro, 35 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cincinnati Intro, 45 reviews, 77 photos
- San Diego Intro, 38 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kauai Intro, 27 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubuque Intro, 26 reviews, 92 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minneapolis Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Tahlequah Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos